Finding Amplitude in Harmonic Function: Solving for Time t

• Thread starter Niles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplitude
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time t when a harmonic function has an amplitude of A/2. The first step is to cancel the "A"s and write the cosine in exponential form. The conversation also mentions using a function with sines and cosines in exponential form to solve for t. Finally, the importance of accurately stating the desired amplitude is emphasized.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

I have the following harmonic function:

[tex]
V(t)=A\cos(\omega t)\exp(-Ct),
[/tex]

where C is a constant, and A is the amplitude. I need to find the time t, where the amplitude is A/2. This gives me:

[tex]
V(t)=A\cos(\omega t)\exp(-Ct) = \frac{A}{2},
[/tex]

but how do I solve this equation?

Thanks in advance.

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the obvious first step is to cancel the "A"s: [itex]cos(\omega t)e^{-Ct}= 1/2[/itex]. Next, I think I would write the cosine in exponential form: [itex]cos(\omega t)= (e^{it}+ e^{-it})/2[/itex] so [itex]cos(\omega t)e^{-Ct}= (e^{(-C+ i\omega)t}+ e^{(C-i\omega)t})2= 1/2[/itex]

Ahh, great.

If I was given a function on the form:

[tex]
V(t)=(A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t)\exp(-Ct),
[/tex]

then writing the sines and cosines as exponentials would be the way to go too. But am I even correct to say that the time t when the amplitude of the oscillation of V(t) is half of the original amplitude is when V(t) = A/2, where A is the amplitude?

Last edited:
Yes, you said "find the time find the time t, where the amplitude is A/2". If the initial amplitude is A, then half of it is A/2.

Need numerical solve.

1. What is amplitude?

Amplitude is the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium position of a wave or oscillation.

2. How is amplitude measured?

Amplitude is typically measured in units of distance, such as meters or centimeters, and can be determined by measuring the height or depth of the wave from the equilibrium position.

3. Why is amplitude important?

The amplitude of a wave determines its strength or intensity, which can have significant implications in various fields such as acoustics, seismology, and optics.

4. How does amplitude affect the properties of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly related to its energy and frequency, and can also affect its wavelength and speed.

5. How can amplitude be manipulated or changed?

Amplitude can be changed by altering the energy or force driving the wave, or by adjusting the medium through which the wave travels.