Finding the area between 2 curves

In summary, the problem asks to find the area of the region bounded by the graphs of f(x) = 1/x and 2x+2y=5 and to use the shell method to set up the integral for the volume of the solid formed by revolving the region around y=1/2. The correct integral for part (a) is 1/2[5x-x^2]-ln|x| and for part (b), x^2 = f(y-1/2) should be substituted to revolve around y=1/2.
ntox101

Homework Statement

a.) Find the area of the region bounded by the graphs of f(x) = 1/x and 2x+2y=5

b.) Also, use the shell method to setup the integral that represents the volume of the solid formed by revolving the region bounded by the two same graphs about the y= 1/2. (Do not evaluate the integral)

Homework Equations

For area between two curves : Integral[f(x) - g(x)] dx (depending on which curve is on top)

For shell method : 2pi Integral[ p(x) h(x) ] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) What I did was take the second equation (2x+2y=5) and solved for y to make (y = (5-2x)/2). I then made Integral[ ((5-2x)/2) - (1/x) ] dx. For [a,b], I just used the zoom function on my calculator and got a = 1/2 and b = 2. (I'm not sure if it is correct or not) After integrating, I got 1/2[5x-x2-ln|x|]

b.) I haven't been able to get this setup to the way that I think is correct. My answer is
2pi Integral[ ( (5-2y)/2 ) * (2- (1/y)) ] dy . (with a = 1/2 and b = 2). I think my [a,b] are wrong because this is in terms of y, not x, since we are revolving around the y-axis.

Also, without using Mathematica, how can I use the Integrand symbols to make this look more presentable?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a) it looks right. By the looks of it, you are also right about the intersection points, although it would be neater if you proved that (set 1/x equal to (5 - 2x)/2 and solve for x) or at least say that you read off 1/2 and 2 and plug them into 1/x and (5 - 2x)/2 to show that they are indeed intersection points.

For b), you might find this link helpful.

For part (a) i got 1/2[5x-x^2]-ln|x|
For part (b) to revolve around y-axis you need to turn the equation into x^2 = f(y)
and since you are revolving around y=1/2, you need to substitute x^2 = f(y-1/2).
Hope that helps

1. What is the formula for finding the area between two curves?

The formula for finding the area between two curves is ∫(f(x) - g(x)) dx, where f(x) and g(x) are the two curves and the integral is taken over the interval where the curves intersect.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the area between two curves?

The limits of integration for finding the area between two curves are the x-values where the two curves intersect. These can be found by setting the two curves equal to each other and solving for x.

3. Can you find the area between two curves if they do not intersect?

No, in order to find the area between two curves, they must intersect. If the curves do not intersect, then the area between them would be undefined.

4. What is the difference between finding the area between two curves and finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area between two curves involves finding the area of the region bounded by the two curves. This may result in a positive or negative value depending on the position of the curves. Finding the area under a curve involves finding the area between the curve and the x-axis, which is always a positive value.

5. Can the area between two curves be negative?

Yes, the area between two curves can be negative if the two curves intersect and one curve is above the other within the interval of integration. This means that the area between the curves is being subtracted rather than added.