Finding the area of one loop of the lemniscate

  • Thread starter Thread starter annpaulveal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area Loop
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
annpaulveal
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the area of the region bounded by one loop of the lemniscate r2 = a2sin(2θ) with a > 0 using double integration.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I was able to figure out the limits of integration for theta (0 to ∏/2), but what would my limits be for r?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The limits for r will be functions of theta. Integrate wrt r first. When you plug in the limits, those functions will come into the integrand. Then you can integrate wrt theta.
 
I'm sorry, I really don't understand. How can I integrate wrt r without setting the limits of my integrand first? What would those limits be?
 
annpaulveal said:
I'm sorry, I really don't understand. How can I integrate wrt r without setting the limits of my integrand first? What would those limits be?

When you integrate in the r direction, r goes from r = 0 to the r on the curve, which is a function of ##\theta##.
 
annpaulveal said:
I'm sorry, I really don't understand. How can I integrate wrt r without setting the limits of my integrand first? What would those limits be?
For a given value of theta, what is the smallest value of r within the region? What is the largest value with the region?