Finding the area of one loop of the lemniscate

• Thread starter annpaulveal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Loop
In summary, To find the area of the region bounded by one loop of the lemniscate r2 = a2sin(2θ) with a > 0, double integration is used. The limits for theta are 0 to ∏/2, and the limits for r are a function of theta, with r going from 0 to the r value on the curve.
annpaulveal

Homework Statement

Find the area of the region bounded by one loop of the lemniscate r2 = a2sin(2θ) with a > 0 using double integration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to figure out the limits of integration for theta (0 to ∏/2), but what would my limits be for r?

Physics news on Phys.org
The limits for r will be functions of theta. Integrate wrt r first. When you plug in the limits, those functions will come into the integrand. Then you can integrate wrt theta.

I'm sorry, I really don't understand. How can I integrate wrt r without setting the limits of my integrand first? What would those limits be?

annpaulveal said:
I'm sorry, I really don't understand. How can I integrate wrt r without setting the limits of my integrand first? What would those limits be?

When you integrate in the r direction, r goes from r = 0 to the r on the curve, which is a function of ##\theta##.

annpaulveal said:
For a given value of theta, what is the smallest value of r within the region? What is the largest value with the region?

Related to Finding the area of one loop of the lemniscate

1. What is a lemniscate?

A lemniscate is a plane curve with a characteristic shape that resembles a figure eight. It is also known as the infinity symbol.

2. How do you find the area of one loop of the lemniscate?

To find the area of one loop of the lemniscate, you can use the formula A = πr2/2, where r is the distance from the center of the lemniscate to the curve. Alternatively, you can use the parametric equations x = a cos(t) and y = a sin(2t) to find the area using integration.

3. What are the units for the area of one loop of the lemniscate?

The units for the area of one loop of the lemniscate will depend on the units used for the radius (r) of the curve. If the radius is measured in meters, then the area will be in square meters. If the radius is measured in feet, then the area will be in square feet.

4. Can the area of one loop of the lemniscate be negative?

No, the area of one loop of the lemniscate cannot be negative. It is a measure of the space enclosed by the curve and is always a positive value.

5. Are there any real-world applications for finding the area of one loop of the lemniscate?

Yes, the lemniscate is a common shape found in many fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model the motion of a swinging pendulum, the shape of certain types of waves, and the orbits of celestial bodies. In these applications, finding the area of one loop of the lemniscate can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems.