Finding the combined capacitance between A and B

• Thread starter Eitan Levy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, A is trying to connect capacitors in a circuit to make sure they have the same voltage or charge. He makes a mistake in his schematic and cannot seem to correct it. He is able to identify which capacitors are in series and which in parallel after removing some irrelevant capacitors.
Eitan Levy
Homework Statement
Find the combined capacitance between A and B
Relevant Equations
Parallel and series connection of capactiors
First of all I believe that capacitors 1, 2 and 3 are connected in series, because the charge on them must be equal so I combined them.

After that, I suspect that the result of their combined capacitor (C123) is connected in parallel to C4 because the voltages on them are the same.

After that I struggle to find capacitors that will have the same charge or voltage on them due to the many wires that don't connect to anything.

I can't even understand how the capacitors on the edges may be charged, how can charge move from the plate closer to the edge? It should remain constant.

How do I proceed?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 114
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
believe that capacitors 1, 2 and 3 are connected in series
From the perspective of A? 1 is down the left path, while 2 and 3 are down the right path.
Eitan Levy said:
because the charge on them must be equal
I don’t see why that would be, or what the relevance of it would be to whether they are in series.

For start, I believe capacitors 5, 6 and 8 are irrelevant and can be removed from the schematic without affecting the total capacitance between A and B.
After that I believe you can identify more easily which capacitors are in series and which in parallel.

haruspex said:
From the perspective of A? 1 is down the left path, while 2 and 3 are down the right path.

I don’t see why that would be, or what the relevance of it would be to whether they are in series.
Then how do J determine when are capacitors connected by series or by parallel? That pretty much was what I was taught in class.

I I understand my mistake with 1 2 and 3. 2 and 3 are still connected by series I believe, but how can I proceed from there?

I
Delta2 said:
For start, I believe capacitors 5, 6 and 8 are irrelevant and can be removed from the schematic without affecting the total capacitance between A and B.
After that I believe you can identify more easily which capacitors are in series and which in parallel.
Is it okay to ignore them? Is it because they can't be charged due to the way the diagram was constructed?

Eitan Levy said:
I

Is it okay to ignore them? Is it because they can't be charged due to the way the diagram was constructed?
yes I believe it is okay to ignore them. They can't be charged as you say, because if we imagine current flowing from A to B via all possible paths, these possible paths do not include capacitors 5 , 6 and 8.

Yes, as @Delta2 said, capacitors (or components in general) that are just "hanging" from circuit nodes without connections to other components at their other ends can be ignored. They will play no part in the operation of the circuit. Note that nodes A and B are considered to be important to the circuit operation since you would "connect" a hypothetical capacitance meter between them. So capacitor 9 is not just "dangling" without connection. It must remain.

Removing the extraneous capacitors you should be able to identify the remaining capacitors that are in either series or parallel, and hence reduce the circuit accordingly. Try redrawing the circuit without the unnecessary components and see what you can do to reduce the circuit.

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
yes I believe it is okay to ignore them. They can't be charged as you say, because if we imagine current flowing from A to B via all possible paths, these possible paths do not include capacitors 5 , 6 and 8.
So I get C2 and C3 connected in series, C23 is connected in parallel to C14 where C1 and C4 are also connected in series. After that C1234,C7,C9 are all connected in series. Is that right?

Likes Delta2
Eitan Levy said:
So I get C2 and C3 connected in series, C23 is connected in parallel to C14 where C1 and C4 are also connected in series. After that C1234,C7,C9 are all connected in series. Is that right?
Looks good! So,... now do the math...

Related to Finding the combined capacitance between A and B

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the measure of an object's ability to store electric charge. It is measured in units called farads.

2. How is capacitance calculated?

To calculate capacitance, you need to know the object's geometry, the material it is made of, and the surrounding medium. The formula for capacitance is C = εA/d, where C is capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material, A is the surface area of the object, and d is the distance between the object and the surrounding medium.

3. What is the significance of finding the combined capacitance between A and B?

The combined capacitance between A and B tells us how much charge can be stored between these two points. This is important in designing electrical circuits and determining the strength of an electric field.

4. How do you find the combined capacitance between A and B?

To find the combined capacitance between A and B, you need to calculate the individual capacitance of each object and then add them together. This can be done using the formula C = εA/d for each object and then adding the individual capacitances together.

5. Can the combined capacitance between A and B be negative?

No, the combined capacitance between A and B cannot be negative. Capacitance is a positive quantity, and when combined, the individual capacitances will add up to a positive value.