Finding the Derivative of y= (x^2-x)^1/2 (x-1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Stratosphere
Messages
373
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the derivative of [tex]\ y=\sqrt{x^{2}-x}(x-1)[/tex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm not sure how to begin for this one. All I know to do is to change [tex]\sqrt{x^{2}-x}[/tex] to (x^2-x)^1/2 Do you I have to take the derivative of each one separately?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you will see that y is of the form y=uv so you will need your product law here.

so u=(x2-x)1/2 right?

Now you want to get du/dx

so the chain rule must be used now. if you put t=x2-x, then what is dt/dx equal to? Then what is u equal to in terms of t?
 
Last edited:
Using the product rule I got, 1/2(x^2-x)[tex]^{-1/2}[/tex](x-1)+(x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-x)[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]. that doesn't seem right, did I mess somthing up?
 
Stratosphere said:
Using the product rule I got, 1/2(x^2-x)[tex]^{-1/2}[/tex](x-1)+(x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-x)[tex]^{1/2}[/tex]. that doesn't seem right, did I mess somthing up?

I made a typo that probably confused you.

So I will start over.

[tex]y=\sqrt{x^{2}-x}(x-1)[/tex]

so u= (x2-x)1/2
and v= x-1 (dv/dx is easily found right?)

The problem lies with du/dx...so we let t=x2-x and so u = ?? (in terms of t)

to apply the chain rule now

[tex]\frac{du}{dx}= \frac{d?}{dx} \times \frac{d??}{dt}[/tex]

can you think of what variable '?' is and '??' is? (hint: 'd?' will cancel out with dt)
 
Stratosphere said:
dv/dx=1 but what is t?
yes

t is a new variable we introduced for u=(x2-x)1/2

we said t =x2-x , so u=t1/2

from t=x2-x, what derivative can we find?

From u=t1/2 what derivative can we find?
 
[tex]\ \frac{dt}{dx}=2x-1[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{du}{dt}=1/2t^{-1/2}[/tex]

So by multiply them together I will find dy/dx?
 
Stratosphere said:
[tex]\ \frac{dt}{dx}=2x-1[/tex]

[tex]\ \frac{du}{dt}=1/2t^{-1/2}[/tex]

So by multiply them together I will find dy/dx?

you will find du/dx.


You used the product rule correctly in post#3, but du/dx was wrong.
 
I remember when I began learning to take derivatives using the product rule, it never occurred to me to use other variables such as t when finding dy/dx, and I did just fine without it too. Only once I was very familiar with it all did I start using other variables to apply the function of a function rule.

Stratosphere, maybe this is the best approach for you to take as well?

Since [tex]y=\sqrt{x^2-x}(x-1)[/tex] requires the product rule:

[tex]y=uv[/tex] then [tex]y'=u'v+v'u[/tex] where [tex]u=\sqrt{x^2-x}[/tex] and [tex]v=x-1[/tex]

Just take each variable in the product rule separately:

first, what is [tex]u'[/tex]? [tex]u'=\frac{d}{dx}(\sqrt{x^2-x})[/tex]
next, what is [tex]v'[/tex]?...
etc.
Once you have them all, just substitute into the product rule formula.

Remember that if [tex]y=[f(x)]^n[/tex] then [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=n[f(x)]^{n-1}f'(x)[/tex]
When you tried applying the product rule earlier, you neglected the last [tex]f'(x)[/tex] bit.
 
Hmm I propose this method [tex]\sqrt{x(x-1)}(x-1)[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{x}(x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}(x-1)^1[/tex] by the power laws we get

[tex]x^{\frac{1}{2}}(x-1)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] I believe this seems less messy to deal with.
 
djeitnstine said:
Hmm I propose this method [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}(x-1)}(x-1)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}(x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}}(x-1)^1[/tex] by the power laws we get

[tex]x^{-\frac{1}{2}}(x-1)^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex] I believe this seems less messy to deal with.

You made a typo. [tex]\sqrt{x^2-x}=\sqrt{x(x-1)}\neq\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}(x-1)}[/tex]

and yes I agree with you, it does make the question simpler.