How Do You Calculate Displacement for Multiple Direction Movements?

In summary, displacement is the change in an object's position or location compared to its original position. It is calculated by subtracting the initial position of an object from its final position and can be represented as Δx = x<sub>f</sub> - x<sub>i</sub>. The units of displacement depend on the system of measurement being used, with meters (m) being the unit in the International System of Units and feet (ft) or inches (in) in the English system. Displacement is different from distance in that it takes into account the object's change in position, and is important in understanding an object's motion and calculating parameters such as velocity and acceleration.
freshoff
Finding the displacement...

Okay so I've been having a lot of trouble trying to find the final displacement for a person who begins walking 200 meters west, the 300 meters south and finally meets his friend 150 meters away. I somehow got that he will be 80.5 degrees South or West by going Tan*(300m/80m) but I can't get his displacement as 58.3 meters...I'm confused. Help will be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Opps the 150 meters where he meets his friend should be 150 meters east..

You sure it's 300 m south? You sure it's not 30 m?

yeah it says 300 meters south

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in an object's position or location compared to its original position. It is a vector quantity that measures both the magnitude and direction of the change.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position of an object from its final position. It can be represented as: Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. What are the units of displacement?

The units of displacement depend on the system of measurement being used. In the International System of Units (SI), the unit for displacement is meters (m). In the English system, the unit is feet (ft) or inches (in).

4. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement and distance are two different measurements. Distance only considers the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement takes into account the object's change in position. Therefore, displacement can be equal to or less than distance, but it cannot be greater.

5. What is the importance of finding displacement?

Finding displacement is important in understanding an object's motion and its change in position. It is used in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other important parameters of motion.