Finding the Distance from Point P to AC on an ABCD.EFGH Cube

In summary, given an ABCD.EFGH cube whose side length is 8 cm, the point P is within AB so that AP = 3PH. The distance between P to AC is 3\sqrt6 cm.
Monoxdifly
MHB
Given an ABCD.EFGH cube whose its side length is 8 cm. The point P is within AB so that AP = 3PH. The distance between P to AC is ...
A. \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt3\) cm
B. \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt3\) cm
C. \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt6\) cm
D. \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt6\) cm
E. \(\displaystyle 4\sqrt6\) cm

So AH is \(\displaystyle 8\sqrt2\) cm and PH = \(\displaystyle 6\sqrt2\). What do I do now? Is the triangle HPC a right triangle?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Monoxdifly said:
Given an ABCD.EFGH cube whose its side length is 8 cm. The point P is within AB so that AP = 3PH. The distance between P to AC is ...
A. \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt3\) cm
B. \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt3\) cm
C. \(\displaystyle 2\sqrt6\) cm
D. \(\displaystyle 3\sqrt6\) cm
E. \(\displaystyle 4\sqrt6\) cm

So AH is \(\displaystyle 8\sqrt2\) cm and PH = \(\displaystyle 6\sqrt2\). What do I do now? Is the triangle HPC a right triangle?
This sounds wrong. If P lies on AB then it must be closer to A than to H. So the condition AP = 3PH is impossible.

Sorry, I meant P is within AH. Sigh, why did I make a lot of typos last night?

My method is to use coordinates, taking the vertices of the cube as
$A = (8,0,0),$
$B = (0,0,0),$
$C = (0,8,0),$
$D = (8,8,0),$
$E = (8,0,8),$
$F = (0,0,8),$
$G = (0,8,8),$
$H = (8,8,8).$
(Of course, that is not the only way to assign the vertices. I was working from a sketch in which it was convenient to take $B$ as the origin.)

The point $P$ is then $(8,6,6)$. A point on $AC$ is given by $(t,8-t,0)$. The distance $d$ from that point to $P$ satisfies $d^2 = (t-8)^2 + (2-t)^2 + 6^2$. If you minimise that by calculus, you find that $t=5$, and $d = 3\sqrt6$.

Edit. If you don't want to use calculus, you can do it algebraically by completing the square: $$d^2 = (t-8)^2 + (2-t)^2 + 6^2 = 2t^2 - 20t + 104 = 2(t-5)^2 + 54.$$ That clearly has minimum value 54, when $t=5$. So $d = \sqrt{54} = 3\sqrt6$.

Last edited:
I ended up solving the problem with trigonometry instead of algebra and calculus. Thanks, anyway. It's always nice to see different approaches.

1. What is the formula for finding the distance from Point P to AC on a cube?

The formula for finding the distance from Point P to AC on a cube is the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

2. How do you determine the coordinates of Point P on the cube?

The coordinates of Point P on the cube can be determined by using the coordinates of the other three vertices of the triangle. Point P will be located at the midpoint of the line segment connecting the two points on opposite faces of the cube.

3. Can the distance from Point P to AC be negative?

No, the distance from Point P to AC cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of length, which is always a positive value.

4. How does the orientation of the cube affect the distance from Point P to AC?

The orientation of the cube does not affect the distance from Point P to AC. As long as the coordinates of the vertices and Point P remain the same, the distance will be the same regardless of the cube's orientation.

5. Is there a way to find the distance from Point P to AC without using the Pythagorean theorem?

No, the Pythagorean theorem is the only formula that can be used to find the distance from Point P to AC on a cube. Other methods, such as using trigonometric functions, are not applicable in this scenario.