Finding the domain for inequality

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving multiple steps, but is getting confused. They are told that they are doing something wrong, and are asked to try again. They are also told that taking the negative square root of a number is incorrect.
solar nebula

Homework Statement

The problem is:
for all 0≤a≤1
k0y3a.jpg

so i need to find the domain

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it like this:
9huw7p.jpg

yet my solution is wrong,i am not so sure why.
wolfram gives me this;

20h8pjr.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Here are some problems:

1) In the second step you wrote [itex]\frac{1}{a}[/itex]. This is only well-defined if a is nonzero. So you should look at the case a=0 seperately.

2) In the last step you essentially did [itex]x=\sqrt{x^2}[/itex]. This is true only for positive x. Indeed: if x=-1, then [itex]x^2=1[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=-1[/itex]. So you need to look at the case where x is positive and x is negative.

Moderator note: since this has nothing to do with calculus, I'm moving it to precalculus.

Just to make it simple to solve for now, i am not going to look at case a=0 (only for now)

so i tired to do this:

2nlvihw.jpg

Again my solution is wrong, i am now covering the entire number line (-inf,+inf), i feel like i am messing up basic algebra. Please help

No, you again did [itex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/itex]. This is not true!

You need to consider two cases:

1) x is positive.

2) x is negative

And please don't use things like [itex]\pm[/itex], it's confusing. Just taking the square root (which BY DEFINITION is positive) will suffice.

I think i got it now:, Also when i take a square root of a number, isn't that i should take the positive and negative root?. I understand for
Code:
\sqrt{x^2}=x
, because its basically
Code:
 \abs{x}
mkfcl0.jpg

solar nebula said:
Also when i take a square root of a number, isn't that i should take the positive and negative root?

No. And in fact, taking the negative square root is wrong. Indeed, we have that 4>1, but if we take the negative square root of both sides then we have [itex]-\sqrt{4}>-\sqrt{1}[/itex]. This is the same as -2>-1 which is not true.

So if a and b are positive than a<b implies [itex]\sqrt{a}<\sqrt{b}[/itex], but it doesn't imply that [itex]-\sqrt{a}<-\sqrt{b}[/itex].

What is the definition of a domain for an inequality?

A domain for an inequality is the set of all possible values that can be substituted for the variable in the inequality and still make the inequality true.

Why is it important to find the domain for an inequality?

Finding the domain for an inequality allows us to determine the range of values that satisfy the inequality. This is important in understanding the solution set and making informed decisions based on the inequality.

How do you find the domain for a linear inequality?

To find the domain for a linear inequality, we need to solve for the variable in the inequality. This will give us the range of values that the variable can take on to satisfy the inequality.

Can the domain for an inequality be infinite?

Yes, the domain for an inequality can be infinite if the inequality involves a variable with no restrictions on its value. For example, in the inequality x > 3, the domain is all real numbers greater than 3, which is infinite.

What happens if the domain for an inequality is empty?

If the domain for an inequality is empty, it means that there are no values that can be substituted for the variable to make the inequality true. This could happen if the inequality has restrictions on the variable that cannot be satisfied.