Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the eccentric anamoly

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    So I'm in need of some more help for my astronomy class again.
    My professor wants us to write a program that outputs a table with the distance of Mars from the sun (r) and it's true anomaly. The problem is that i need to compute the Eccentric Anomaly (E) from the Mean Anomaly (M). Kepler's equation is E = M + εsin(E), but I can't get it down in terms of E. Seeing as how I'm using c++, it is kind of a necessity. One website seemed to have an equation involving Einitial and Efinals, but it didn't do me any good. Is the idea to set the original Einitial equal to 0 at t=0 (the perihelion point) and find E final in terms of that? At the end of each iteration (I'm running a while loop) the Eintial of the next iteration would be set to the Efinal of the current loop. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2
    The correct equation is [tex]M = E - e*sin(E)[/tex]

Solve using the Newton Method:

[tex]E_{n+1} = E_{n} - \frac{f(E)}{f'(E)}[/tex]
    where f(E) = E - e * sin(E) - M
    and f'(E) = 1 - e * cos(E)

Loop the above equations until:
    [tex]\frac{f(E)}{f'(E)} < 0.00001[/tex]Or some substantially low number not zero.

Also,[tex]r = \frac{a * (1 - e ^ 2)}{(1 + e * cos(TA))}[/tex]
    where TA - True Anomaly
    and a - Semi-Major Axis of Mars
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted