Finding the flux of an electrix field

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Flux
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the flux of E through a shaded side of a cube with a charge q in the back corner. One approach is to enclose the charge by surrounding it with 7 additional cubes, allowing for the calculation of the integral as the charge is now enclosed. The total flux would be 24 times the flux through one face. The question may be familiar from the textbook "Griffiths Electrodynamics."
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

A charge q sits in the back corner of a cube, as shown in the attachment. What is the flux of E through the shaded side?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need the surface integral of E over the shaded area, but the problem is with choosing the proper coordinates and the origin.

Please help out this poor guy!

Attachments

• screen.jpg
    screen.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss's law finds the charge ENCLOSED,

So one way to do this question is to enclose the charge by surrounding the charge by another 7 boxes.

Then you can compute the integral as the charge is now enclosed.

There will be 24 faces after surrounding the charge, so integral will produce a flux 24 times the flux through one face (seeing as you only need the flux through one face) and I think you can take it from there,

I've seen this question in griffiths electrodynamics before I think

1. What is meant by "flux" in the context of an electric field?

Flux refers to the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is a measure of the strength of an electric field at a particular point.

2. How is the flux of an electric field calculated?

The flux of an electric field is calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field at a given point by the area of the surface perpendicular to the field. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = E * A, where Φ is the flux, E is the strength of the electric field, and A is the area of the surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric field flux?

The unit of measurement for electric field flux is volt meters squared (V*m^2).

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the flux?

The direction of the electric field affects the flux by either increasing or decreasing its value. When the electric field lines are perpendicular to the surface, the flux is at its maximum value. However, when the electric field lines are parallel to the surface, the flux is at its minimum value.

5. How is the concept of electric field flux used in practical applications?

The concept of electric field flux is used in various practical applications, such as determining the amount of charge in a given area, calculating the strength of an electric field, and designing electrical circuits and devices. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of new technologies, such as wireless charging.