1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the forcing frequency to maximize the amplitude

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following underdamped oscillator governed by:

u''(t) + ¥u'(t) + w02u(t)=Fcos(wt)

(a) Find the ge......
    (b) The hom....
    (c) What is the forcing frequency w for which the amplitude R in the previous part attains a maximum? Show that it is always less than the natural frequency w0.

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I solved the problem in part (a) and put it in the form Rcos(wt-µ) in part (b). I've looked over my work several times; the answer is messy. You can try it for yourself if you really feel like it. Otherwise, trust me when I say that the long term solution (getting rid of the homogenous equation since it involves crap in the form e-at, where a is positive) is

[F(w02-w2)]/[(w02-w2)2+(wy)2]*√[1+(wy)2/(w02-w2)2]*cos(wt-tan-1(wy/(w02-w2)).

.....so how do I find the right w to maximize the amplitude? I have no idea. Please explain in detail. This assignment is due tomorrow morning.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

if you have a function in terms of w for the amplitude, could you differentiate and set to zero to find the maxima?

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  4. May 2, 2010 #3
    There has to be a better way

5. May 2, 2010 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

6. May 2, 2010 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

note there should be no homogenous part in the steady state forced solution anyway, only the driven frequency term

7. May 2, 2010 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

actually maybe you can clean that up a bit and its ok? - notice when you find the amplitude transfer function (divide by Fcoswt), the cos part with the tan inside will disappear as its just the same frequency response shifted by a phase given by the tan term

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook