Finding the fourier series coefficients for cos(pi)x for unit periods

In summary, a Fourier series is a representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. The coefficients of a Fourier series can be found using a formula involving integration. The period of cos(pi)x is 2. Finding Fourier series coefficients is important for understanding a periodic function's behavior. These coefficients can be calculated for different periods, but they will vary depending on the period.
kakolukia786
Hi all,

How do I compute the Fourier series coefficients for unit periods for cos(pi)x, the interval is from -1/2 to 1/2. I know the formula but I am getting a wrong answer ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi kakolukia786! :wink:

show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

I was able to figure it out myself. Thanks anyways

1. What is the definition of a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How do you find the Fourier series coefficients for a periodic function?

The Fourier series coefficients can be found by using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the periodic function over one period multiplied by a complex exponential function.

3. What is the period of cos(pi)x?

The period of cos(pi)x is 2, which means the function repeats itself every 2 units.

4. What is the importance of finding Fourier series coefficients?

Finding Fourier series coefficients allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a periodic function in terms of its individual sinusoidal components. This can be useful in many fields, such as signal processing, engineering, and physics.

5. Can the Fourier series coefficients for cos(pi)x be calculated for different periods?

Yes, the Fourier series coefficients for cos(pi)x can be calculated for any unit period. However, the coefficients will change depending on the period, as the function will have a different number of repeated cycles within that period.