Finding the frequency of a subatomic particle in motion?

In summary, If a subatomic particle is moving with an energy equal to 240. mev, the frequency associated with it is 5.79e22 Hz.
Loaded
If a subatomic particle is moving with an energy equal to 240. mev, what is the frequency associated with this particle ?
E=hv where E = energy of the particle, h = Planck's constant and v = frequency
I thought I would solve this by first converting MeV into joules, and then using the equation E=hv to solve for the frequency. However, it seems that was incorrect :(. Maybe my math was incorrect, but I think I'm missing something. I think because the particle is in motion, velocity may be a factor? I'm not exactly sure. Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Loaded said:
If a subatomic particle is moving with an energy equal to 240. mev, what is the frequency associated with this particle ?
E=hv where E = energy of the particle, h = Planck's constant and v = frequency
I thought I would solve this by first converting MeV into joules, and then using the equation E=hv to solve for the frequency. However, it seems that was incorrect :(. Maybe my math was incorrect, but I think I'm missing something. I think because the particle is in motion, velocity may be a factor? I'm not exactly sure. Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your method is indeed correct. If you post your attempted solution, perhaps we could point out where you've gone wrong with the arithmetic.

With regards to your final comment, velocity is indeed a factor but this information is contained within the energy term of Planck's relationship (i.e. the E in your equation). Put simply, the greater velocity the greater the energy of the particle.

Ah okay thanks for clarifying.

As for my solution -

1 MeV = 1.6e-13 J

-- 240 MeV x 1.6e-13 = 3.84e-11 J

-- 3.84e-11 J / 6.626e-34 m2 kg / s = 5.79e22 Hz

Loaded said:
Ah okay thanks for clarifying.

As for my solution -

1 MeV = 1.6e-13 J

-- 240 MeV x 1.6e-13 = 3.84e-11 J

-- 3.84e-11 J / 6.626e-34 m2 kg / s = 5.79e22 Hz
If you're entering your solution online, you need to be careful with rounding. Do not round any intermediate values and ensure that your final answer is given in the required number of sig. figs.

1. What is the definition of frequency in relation to subatomic particles?

The frequency of a subatomic particle refers to the number of times the particle completes a full cycle of motion in a given time period. It is typically measured in units of hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a subatomic particle calculated?

The frequency of a subatomic particle can be calculated by dividing the speed of the particle by the wavelength of its motion. This can be represented by the formula f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed, and λ is the wavelength.

3. Can the frequency of a subatomic particle be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a subatomic particle can be changed by altering its speed or wavelength. This can be done through various methods such as accelerating the particle or changing the medium in which it is traveling.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and energy of a subatomic particle?

There is a direct relationship between the frequency and energy of a subatomic particle. As the frequency increases, the energy of the particle also increases. This is because higher frequencies correspond to shorter wavelengths, which require more energy for the particle to complete a full cycle of motion.

5. Why is it important to determine the frequency of subatomic particles?

Determining the frequency of subatomic particles is crucial in understanding their behavior and properties. It can also help in technological advancements, such as in the development of particle accelerators and medical imaging devices.