Finding the impluse of a stopping car

• Thread starter Ibby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, a car with a total mass of 1400kg traveling at 60km/h hits a large tree and stops in 0.080s. The change in momentum is equal to the mass (1400kg) multiplied by the change in velocity (16.667 m/s). This is also known as the impulse of the car. The change in velocity is calculated by subtracting the final velocity (0 m/s) from the initial velocity (16.667 m/s). This is not an acceleration, as previously stated. The net force can be calculated using the equation F=ma, but it is not the same as the impulse.
Ibby
A car with a total mass of 1400kg,travling at 60kmh hits a large tree and stops in 0.080 s .

2. change in momentium: m(v-u)

3. 1400(0-60)

=-84000

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be correct, I am not sure if impulses are positive or negative though. Based on it being the change in momentum, it should be negative.

EDIT: You will need to convert 60 km/h to m/s or else your units will be off.

at the back of the book its 2.3 x 10 ^4 opposite tothe intial dircetion of the car

got it f= ma 1400 x 16.6ms= 2.3 x 10^4 its right but isn't thsi meant to be the force or net force not the impulse?

Ibby said:
got it f= ma 1400 x 16.6ms= 2.3 x 10^4 its right but isn't thsi meant to be the force or net force not the impulse?

That's not ma. That's m(vfinal - vinitial), which IS the impulse. The velocity change is 16.67 m/s. This is not an acceleration.

cepheid said:
That's not ma. That's m(vfinal - vinitial), which IS the impulse. The velocity change is 16.67 m/s. This is not an acceleration.

iam not getting it . how is the velocity chnage 16.67? isn't that its inital speed since the car stopped when it hit the tree .so its final velocity should be 0 and its inital 16.67 ?

Ibby said:
iam not getting it . how is the velocity chnage 16.67? isn't that its inital speed since the car stopped when it hit the tree .so its final velocity should be 0 and its inital 16.67 ?

The change in velocity is the difference between the final velocity and initial velocity. I hope you understand this.

change in velocity = 0 m/s - 16.667 m/s = -16.667 m/s

Yeah, sure, 16.667 m/s is the initial velocity. But since the final velocity is zero, the change in velocity will be equal in magnitude to the initial velocity (and opposite in direction). Since I was only referring casually to the magnitude of the change, I was a bit lax with the negative sign in my previous post (but so were you). Anyway, multiply this change in velocity by the mass of the car to get its change in momentum (which, by definition, is the impulse).

Nitpicking aside, the main point I was trying to make in post #5 (which I hope you understood) was that for some strange reason you were claiming that 16.667 m/s was an acceleration when, in fact, it is not. It doesn't even have the right units to be an acceleration.

Last edited:

What is the impulse of a stopping car?

The impulse of a stopping car is the change in momentum that occurs when the car comes to a complete stop.

What factors affect the impulse of a stopping car?

The impulse of a stopping car is affected by the car's mass, velocity, and the force applied to bring it to a stop.

How is the impulse of a stopping car calculated?

The impulse of a stopping car can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to stop the car by the time it takes for the car to come to a complete stop.

Why is it important to understand the impulse of a stopping car?

Understanding the impulse of a stopping car is important for designing and implementing effective safety measures, such as brakes and airbags, in cars to protect passengers in the event of a collision.

How can the impulse of a stopping car be reduced?

The impulse of a stopping car can be reduced by decreasing the car's mass, decreasing its velocity, or by increasing the time it takes for the car to come to a stop.