1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the integral of t e^(-lambda t) from t=0 to t=infinity

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    [tex] \int_{0}^{infty} t e^{-\lambda t} \lambda dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{\lambda e^{\lambda t}} (1 + t \lambda) \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{1}{\lambda} [/tex]

is this corect??

for hte infinity part we dont have to worry since the 1/exponential term goes to zero as does the t/exponential term. For t = 0 however t/exponentail is zero and what is left is 1/lambda

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You're missing a factor of lambda. It's helpful if you think of t as being a time, so that lambda is a frequency and the integral needs to have dimensions of time^2.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    how am i missing it??

did i not do everything right??

see the whole work

[tex] \frac{-1}{\lambda e^{\lambda t}} (1 + t \lambda) \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \lim_{t \rightarrow \infty} \left(\frac{-1}{\lambda e^{\lambda t}} \right) - \left( \frac{-1}{\lambda}\right) - 0 \right) = \frac{1}{\lambda} [/tex]

where does the extra fact oro lambda come from??

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

The problem is before the first step you've shown, since the dimensions are wrong there as well. How did you take the antiderivative?

6. Oct 3, 2006 #5
    are u talkin about hte negative sign i was missing??

i did integration by parts..

7. Oct 3, 2006 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

No, you're missing a factor of lambda in the antiderivative. Go back through it step through step.

8. Oct 3, 2006 #7
    since we are on this what about
    [tex] \int_{T}^{\infty} e^{-\lambda t} \lambda dt = -e^{-\lambda t} |_{T}^{\infty} = 0 + e^{-\lambda T} [/tex]

am i missing a fact or of lambda here too.. WHY??

9. Oct 3, 2006 #8
    i typed out the question wrong...

it should be e^\lambda t * lambda

10. Oct 3, 2006 #9

StatusX

Homework Helper

I'm confused. Your antiderivative in the first step is right except for a factor of lambda. If you meant for there not to be a t multiplying the exponential, then your original answer is completely wrong. So which is it?

11. Oct 3, 2006 #10
    Ok let's restart

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{-\lambda t} \lambda dt [/tex]

and the integral is
    [tex] \frac{-1}{\lambda e^{\lambda t}} (1 + t \lambda) \right]_{0}^{\infty} = \frac{1}{\lambda} [/tex]

good?

12. Oct 3, 2006 #11

StatusX

Homework Helper

Yea, that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?