Finding the inverse matrix of fourier transform

In summary: This helped me understand it better. In summary, to find c when given y=(1,0,0,0) and F4*c=y, we can use the formula c=F4-1*y, where F4-1 is the inverse of the matrix F4.
tatianaiistb

Homework Statement

If y=(1,0,0,0) and F4*c=y, find c.

Homework Equations

c=F4-1*y

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck. I don't know how to get F4-1.

F4-1 = (1/N) * [1, 1, 1, 1; 1 -i (-i)^2 (-i)^3; 1 (-i)^2 (-i)^4 (-i)^6; 1 (-i)^3 (-i)^6 (-i)^9] (this is a 4x4 matrix)

N = 4

So I'm confused because from that I get,

(1/4)* [1 1 1 1; 1 -i -1 i; 1 -1 1 -1; 1 i -1 -i]
(this is a 4x4 matrix)

I know that after I get this matrix, I just have to multiply by y to get c, but that inverse matrix has me confused.

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tatianaiistb said:

Homework Statement

If y=(1,0,0,0) and F4*c=y, find c.

Homework Equations

c=F4-1*y

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck. I don't know how to get F4-1.

F4-1 = (1/N) * [1, 1, 1, 1; 1 -i (-i)^2 (-i)^3; 1 (-i)^2 (-i)^4 (-i)^6; 1 (-i)^3 (-i)^6 (-i)^9] (this is a 4x4 matrix)

N = 4

So I'm confused because from that I get,

(1/4)* [1 1 1 1; 1 -i -1 i; 1 -1 1 -1; 1 i -1 -i]
(this is a 4x4 matrix)
Is what you have in the brackets above F4?
If so, use it to find the inverse, F4-1.
tatianaiistb said:
I know that after I get this matrix, I just have to multiply by y to get c, but that inverse matrix has me confused.

Can anyone please help? Thanks!

I do not have F4... What I'm showing is what I've worked so far for inverse of F4...

I figured this out... I was actually doing it right and the inverse is that matrix I specified with the i's in it. The i's were throwing me off, but when you multiply that matrix by y, the i's cancel out and you can find c. :-)

Your first post was not very clear on what you were given. Apparently you are given F4-1, so there's no need to find F4.
tatianaiistb said:

N = 4
and you simplified it to get
F4-1 = (1/4)* [1 1 1 1; 1 -i -1 i; 1 -1 1 -1; 1 i -1 -i][/quote]
You know y, and you have worked out that c = F4-1y, so just carry out the multiplication of your matrix and y.

[tex]c = \frac{1}{4}\begin{bmatrix}1&1&1&1\\1&-i&-1&i\\1&-1&1&-1\\1&i&-1&-1\end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1\\0\\0\\0\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Thank you!

What is an inverse matrix of Fourier transform?

An inverse matrix of Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that reverses the process of applying Fourier transform to a function. It is used to retrieve the original function from its transformed form.

Why is finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform important?

Finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate signals and systems in the frequency domain. This is useful in various fields such as signal processing, communication, and image processing.

What is the process of finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform?

The process of finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform involves taking the Fourier transform of the function, applying some algebraic operations, and then taking the inverse Fourier transform of the result. This process is also known as the Fourier inversion theorem.

What are some applications of the inverse matrix of Fourier transform?

The inverse matrix of Fourier transform has various applications such as filtering and smoothing signals, removing noise from signals, and compressing data in image and audio processing. It is also used in solving differential equations and in the analysis of linear systems.

Are there any limitations to finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to finding the inverse matrix of Fourier transform. For some functions, the inverse may not exist or may be difficult to calculate. In addition, the inverse may not accurately represent the original function due to the finite resolution of the Fourier transform.