What is the limit of (n/n+1) as n approaches infinity?

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of (1 + 1/n)^n and how to recognize it. The speaker suggests manipulating the expression and plugging it into the original to recognize the limit, which is Euler's number e. The conversation also mentions the indeterminate form [1]∞ and suggests using a calculator to understand the limit better.
Firepanda
302xk61.png

I believe the second is simply 1, as I can ignore a here.

Not sure about the first, I believe it tends to 0 because of the power of n, and (n/n+1) < 1

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first:
First of all, you need to fiddle around with the expression so that you get something you recognize. Now

n/(n+1) = 1 / ( (n+1)/n ) = 1 / ( (1+1/n) ),

so if you plug this in the original you get

( 1 / ( (1+1/n) ) )^n = 1 /( ( (1+1/n) ) )^n

and now you should recognize the limit of this.

TheFurryGoat said:
For the first:
First of all, you need to fiddle around with the expression so that you get something you recognize. Now

n/(n+1) = 1 / ( (n+1)/n ) = 1 / ( (1+1/n) ),

so if you plug this in the original you get

( 1 / ( (1+1/n) ) )^n = 1 /( ( (1+1/n) ) )^n

and now you should recognize the limit of this.

Looks like 0 to me, but only because 1+1/n > 1 and the power of n

Which is the same reasoning as I had before.. so I'm still lost!

In the Calculus & Beyond section, you should recognize:
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{n}\right)^n\,.[/itex]​

If not, try increasingly larger numbers for n in your calculator: 1 , 2 , 3 , 5 , 10 , 1000 , 1000000 , ...

Have you encountered the limit of
(1 + 1/n)^n
before? I'm sure it has been mentioned somewhere in your study material. The limit is Euler's number [itex]e\ =\ 2.7182...[/itex].

The first limit is an example of the indeterminate form [1].

What is the meaning of "limit as n approaches infinity"?

The limit as n approaches infinity refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input approaches infinity. In other words, it is the value that the function or sequence gets closer and closer to, but never reaches, as the input gets larger and larger.

How is the limit as n approaches infinity calculated?

The limit as n approaches infinity can be calculated by evaluating the function or sequence at increasingly larger values of n. If the values of the function or sequence are approaching a specific number, that number is the limit. If the values are approaching infinity or negative infinity, the limit does not exist.

What does it mean if the limit as n approaches infinity does not exist?

If the limit as n approaches infinity does not exist, it means that the function or sequence does not approach a specific value as the input gets larger and larger. This could happen if the function or sequence oscillates between different values or if it approaches positive and negative infinity at different rates.

Can the limit as n approaches infinity change depending on the function or sequence?

Yes, the limit as n approaches infinity can vary depending on the specific function or sequence. Some functions or sequences may approach a specific value as n gets larger, while others may approach infinity or negative infinity. It is important to evaluate each function or sequence individually to determine its limit as n approaches infinity.

What is the practical application of finding the limit as n approaches infinity?

Finding the limit as n approaches infinity is useful in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to model real-world situations, such as the growth rate of a population over time or the behavior of a particle as it approaches the speed of light. It can also help in solving complex equations and understanding the behavior of functions and sequences at extreme values.