Finding the locus of points for complex analysis

In summary: Similarly, |z- 1|^2 is the square of the distance from z to 1 and |z+ 1|^2 is the square of the distance from z to -1. So the equation |z- 1|^2= |z+ 1|^2+ 6 is the set of all points that are 6 units farther from -1 than from 1. What kind of figure is that?In summary, we are asked to find and describe the locus of points z in the complex plane that satisfy the equations |z-i|=Re z and |z-1|^2 =|z+1|^2 +6. By using the geometric interpretation of these equations and replacing z
calculuskatie
I think this should probably be easy, but I am stuck. My book is of no help.

Find and describe the locus of points z satisfying the given equations:

1. |z-i|=Re z

2. |z-1|^2 =|z+1|^2 +6

I am thinking for the 1st one that I have to square both sides, but then what? What happens to Re z?

For the second one, I am totally lost. My first instinct would be to take the square root of both sides...and then...?

Thanks to all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

calculuskatie said:
Find and describe the locus of points z satisfying the given equations:

1. |z-i|=Re z

2. |z-1|^2 =|z+1|^2 +6

Hi calculuskatie! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: |z - a| is just the distance from z to a.

So just use geometry (including the cosine formula for triangles).

How would you describe those two equations in geometry? :smile:

Have you tried replacing z by x+ iy so that each equation becomes an equation in x, y?

That should make the curves easier to recognize.

For example, if z= x+ iy, then z- i= x+iy- i= x+ (y-1)i and so [itex]|z-i|= |x+ (y-1)i|= \sqrt{(x+ (y-1)i)(x- (y-1)i)}[/itex] (because [itex]|z|= \sqrt{z \overline{z}}[/itex])
[itex]= \sqrt{x^2- (y-1)^2}[/itex] and, of course, Re(z)= x. What kind of graph does [itex]\sqrt{x^2- (y-1)^2}= x[/itex] give? (Try squaring both sides.)

Another, more geometric way to do this is to note that |z- i| is the distance from the point z, in the complex plane, to the point i. Re(z), on the other hand, is the distance from z to the y-axis. What kind of figure has distance from a point on the graph to a point equal to the distance from that point to a line?

FAQ: Finding the locus of points for complex analysis

1. What is the locus of points for complex analysis?

The locus of points for complex analysis refers to the set of all points in the complex plane that satisfy a given equation or condition. It is often used to visualize and study the behavior of complex functions.

2. How is the locus of points determined for a complex function?

The locus of points is determined by setting the real and imaginary parts of the complex function equal to each other and solving for the variables. This results in an equation that describes the set of points in the complex plane that satisfy the given function.

3. Can the locus of points change for different complex functions?

Yes, the locus of points can vary depending on the function being analyzed. Each complex function has its own unique set of points that satisfy its equation.

4. Why is the locus of points important in complex analysis?

The locus of points is important because it allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of complex functions. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between different functions.

5. How can the locus of points be used to solve problems in complex analysis?

The locus of points can be used to solve problems in complex analysis by providing a graphical representation of the function and its behavior. It can also help us identify important points, such as zeros and poles, which can aid in solving equations and evaluating the function's properties.