Finding the magnitude of velocity given vx and vy

In summary, the question involves finding the speed v from the given data sets for vx and vy. This can be solved using Pythagorean theorem by treating vx and vy as the horizontal and vertical components of v. Adding vectors is a concept that has been covered in the course, making it possible to solve the question.
chelseaalyssa

Homework Statement

I am working on a lab, and I have come up with graphs (and the data set) for vy vs. time and vx vs. time, but I'm not sure how to determine v? I just need to come up with the equation so solve for v, but we haven't done anything calc oriented in the course yet.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with calculus, just simple vector addition. The horizontal component of v is vx while the vertical component of v is vy. Hence, by Pythagora's theorem, we have [tex]v^{2} = v_{x}^{2} + v_{y}^{2}[/tex]

Have you seen vectors? There is a right triangle with vx as one right side and vy as the other. You are looking for the speed v which is the hypotenuse of the triangle. So ...

Okay thank you both for your help.
I guess I just misunderstood the question, we have covered adding vectors in the course so I am able to do that.

thanks again!

Related to Finding the magnitude of velocity given vx and vy

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of velocity given vx and vy?

The formula for finding the magnitude of velocity is √(vx² + vy²), where vx represents the velocity in the x-direction and vy represents the velocity in the y-direction.

2. How do I determine the direction of velocity given vx and vy?

The direction of velocity can be determined by using the inverse tangent function. The angle of velocity can be calculated using the formula tan⁻¹(vy/vx), where vy represents the velocity in the y-direction and vx represents the velocity in the x-direction.

3. Can the magnitude of velocity be negative?

No, the magnitude of velocity is always a positive value. It represents the speed of an object without considering its direction.

4. What are the units for the magnitude of velocity?

The units for the magnitude of velocity are generally the same as the units for the velocity components. For example, if the velocity components are in meters per second (m/s), then the magnitude of velocity will also be in meters per second (m/s).

5. How does the magnitude of velocity relate to the speed of an object?

The magnitude of velocity is equal to the speed of an object. It represents the total distance an object travels in a given direction per unit of time.