Finding the magnitude of velocity given vx and vy

  • Thread starter Thread starter chelseaalyssa
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnitude Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 40K views
chelseaalyssa
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am working on a lab, and I have come up with graphs (and the data set) for vy vs. time and vx vs. time, but I'm not sure how to determine v? I just need to come up with the equation so solve for v, but we haven't done anything calc oriented in the course yet.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with calculus, just simple vector addition. The horizontal component of v is vx while the vertical component of v is vy. Hence, by Pythagora's theorem, we have [tex]v^{2} = v_{x}^{2} + v_{y}^{2}[/tex]
 
Have you seen vectors? There is a right triangle with vx as one right side and vy as the other. You are looking for the speed v which is the hypotenuse of the triangle. So ...
 
Okay thank you both for your help.
I guess I just misunderstood the question, we have covered adding vectors in the course so I am able to do that.

thanks again!