1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the max shear stress at a point on a plate (with a hole)

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    i need to find max shear stress at a point on a plate (with a hole) under tension. i found using experimental data the principle strains at the point but i need to find the max shear stress using this data to compare it with a result found analytically.

any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Are you considering this plane stress? If you are, you'll have two principal stresses. Think about Mohr's Circle for a second...The principal stresses lie in a plane with no shear stresses (they lie on the horizontal axis). So if you rotate around 90° in Mohr's circle, you'll get to the point of max shear (the highest point on the vertical axis). Geometrically speaking that is the same as saying

[tex]\tau_{max} = \frac{\sigma_1-\sigma_2}{2}[/tex]

This also assumes that you follow the standard practice of numbering the highest principal stress as [tex]\sigma_1[/tex].

You can double check it by running the calculation with the regular stress components:

[tex]\tau_{max}=\sqrt{\left[ \frac{\sigma_x-\sigma_y}{2}\right]^2 + \tau_{xy}^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook