Finding the Metric Tensor for a Flat 2D Plane with Rotated Coordinates

• MHB
  • Thread starter andrey21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flat Plane
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling with a math problem and asking for help on a forum. They have already solved the first part of the problem but are having trouble with the second part. The conversation also includes a discussion about using LaTeX and finding the metric tensor. The final part of the conversation involves finding the metric tensor for a different set of variables.
andrey21
Hi guys, first time poster here. I have been struggling with the following problem for a few days now and could use some guidance. I believe I have the first part correct but the second is causing me trouble (see attachment). Is what I'm doing correct and how would I go about finding the metric tensor?

Thank You in advance for any help :)View attachment 292

Attachments

• Revision 4.png
    Revision 4.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 79
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Flat two dimensional Plane (please Help)

This is impossible to read. While I can read most of it after "zooming" to 400%, your answer is in a "drop down" window that does not, here, "drop down".

Hi Hallsoofivy, I'm sorry about the attachment, I wanted to upload it in two parts but there was insufficient space. As for the drop down window, there is now answer there. That is as far as I have gotten.

I'm not sure how to substitute the differential coefficients into that equation, can you give me some suggestions?

Also is the first part of the answer correct? Finding how the (x,y) coordinates relate to the (p,q) coordinates.

Hey AA23, welcome to the site. You would greatly help us helping you if you could write down the whole question using LaTeX and attach the graph only. These topics will help:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/mhb-latex-guide-pdf-1142/
http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f26/how-use-latex-site-27/

Cheers.

AA23 said:
Hi guys, first time poster here. I have been struggling with the following problem for a few days now and could use some guidance. I believe I have the first part correct but the second is causing me trouble (see attachment). Is what I'm doing correct and how would I go about finding the metric tensor?

Thank You in advance for any help :)View attachment 292
Parts (a)(i) and (a)(ii) look correct, but (a)(iii) is not. The angle $\theta$ is supposed to be fixed, so you should not differentiate with respect to it. The variables are changing from $(x,y)$ to $(p,q).$ So you should be looking for the differential coefficients $\frac{\partial x}{\partial p}$, $\frac{\partial x}{\partial q}$, $\frac{\partial y}{\partial p}$ and $\frac{\partial y}{\partial q}$, keeping $\theta$ fixed throughout.

Hi Opalg, having taken on board what you said and found the differential coefficients. What is the next step? Do I now substitute them into

\(ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\)

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

AA23 said:
Hi Opalg, having taken on board what you said and found the differential coefficients. What is the next step? Do I now substitute them into

\(ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\)
Use the chain rule in the form $dx = \frac{\partial x}{\partial p}dp + \frac{\partial x}{\partial q}dq$ (and a similar expression for $dy$) to write $dx^2 + dy^2$ in terms of $dp$ and $dq$.

So using:\(dx = \frac{\partial x}{\partial p}dp + \frac{\partial x}{\partial q}dq\)

Where:

\(\frac{\partial x}{\partial p}=1\)

\(\frac{\partial x}{\partial q}=cos\theta\)

\(\frac{\partial y}{\partial p}=0\)

\(\frac{\partial y}{\partial q} = sin\theta\)

Substituting into:

\(ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\)

Gives:\(ds^2 = (1+cos \theta)^2 + (0+sin\theta)^2\)

\(ds^2 = (1+cos \theta)^2 + (sin\theta)^2\)

Which would give:

\(ds^2 = 1 + 2 cos\theta + cos^2\theta + sin^2\theta \)

\(ds^2 = 2 + 2 cos\theta\)

Is this correct? Thank you in advance :)

You forgot about the $dp$ and $dq$.

AA23 said:
So using:

\(dx = \frac{\partial x}{\partial p}dp + \frac{\partial x}{\partial q}dq\)

Where:

\(\frac{\partial x}{\partial p}=1\)

\(\frac{\partial x}{\partial q}=\cos\theta\)

\(\frac{\partial y}{\partial p}=0\)

\(\frac{\partial y}{\partial q} = \sin\theta\)

Substituting into:

\(ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2\)

Gives:

\(ds^2 = (\color{red}{dp}+\cos \theta \color{red}{dq})^2 + (0+\sin\theta \color{red}{dq})^2\)

Which would give:

\(ds^2 = \color{red}{dp^2} + 2 \cos\theta\color{red}{dpdq} + (\cos^2\theta + \sin^2\theta) \color{red}{dq^2} \)

\(ds^2 = \color{red}{dp^2} + 2 \cos\theta \color{red}{dpdq} \color{red}{+dq^2}\)
LaTeX tip: put a backslash before sin and cos to improve their appearance.

(Rofl) I saw my mistake just as you replied.

Given that is the final answer, what part would I use for the metric tensor?

Thanks for the LaTex tip

AA23 said:
Given that is the final answer, what part would I use for the metric tensor?
I am not very familiar with this topic, but as I understand it the metric tensor in this case should be the $2\times2$ matrix associated with the quadratic form for $ds^2$. In other words, $$ ds^2 = dp^2 + 2\cos\theta dpdq + dq^2 = \begin{bmatrix}dp & dq \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & \cos\theta \\ \cos\theta & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}dp \\ dq \end{bmatrix}.$$

Thus the metric tensor should presumably be the matrix $ \begin{bmatrix}1 & \cos\theta \\ \cos\theta & 1 \end{bmatrix}.$

Thank you Opalg, after establishing the metric tensor the question goes on to say:

Suppose the q axis goes through the point (5,12), what is the metric tensor now in the (p,q) system?

Using:

\(r^2 = x^2 + y^2\)

\(r^2 = (5)^2 + (12)^2\)

\(r^2 = 25 +144\)

\(r^2 = 169\)

\(r = 13\)

Substituting this values into:

\(\cos \theta = \frac{x}{r}\)

\(\cos \theta = \frac{5}{13}\)

Therefore the new metric tensor is:\begin{bmatrix}1 & \frac{5}{13}\\ \frac{5}{13}\ & 1 \end{bmatrix}.

Is this correct??

AA23 said:
Therefore the new metric tensor is:\begin{bmatrix}1 & \frac{5}{13}\\ \frac{5}{13}\ & 1 \end{bmatrix}.

Is this correct??
Looks good to me. :)

Thanks Opalg

The second part of the question asks to repeat the same process but for:

\(p=x\)

\(q = x \cos\theta + y \sin\theta\)

Therefore:

\(x=p\)

And:

\(y=\frac{q}{\sin\theta}\ - p \frac{\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}\)

Which can be written as:

\(y=\frac{q}{\sin\theta}\ -p \cot\theta\)

Related to Finding the Metric Tensor for a Flat 2D Plane with Rotated Coordinates

1. What is a flat two dimensional plane?

A flat two dimensional plane, also known as a plane or a flat plane, is a two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It has length and width, but no depth or thickness.

2. How is a flat two dimensional plane different from a three dimensional object?

A flat two dimensional plane only has length and width, while a three dimensional object has length, width, and depth. This means that a flat plane does not have any volume, while a three dimensional object does.

3. What are some examples of a flat two dimensional plane?

Some examples of a flat two dimensional plane include a sheet of paper, a computer screen, a tabletop, and a photograph. These objects all have length and width, but no depth.

4. How is a flat two dimensional plane represented mathematically?

In mathematics, a flat two dimensional plane can be represented by a coordinate system with an x-axis and a y-axis. Each point on the plane is represented by a pair of numbers (x,y) that correspond to its location on the x-axis and y-axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of a flat two dimensional plane?

A flat two dimensional plane is used in many real-world applications, such as in architecture and engineering for creating blueprints and plans, in graphic design for creating digital images, and in mathematics for solving geometric problems.