Finding the minimum frequency

In summary, the minimum frequency at which the heavy string can resonate when the movable support is pushed to the right by 10 cm is not affected by the presence or absence of the light string. The heavy string will oscillate with one end clamped and the other free, with a node at the cart end and an antinode at the end that is not fixed.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A heavy string is tied at one end to a movable support and to a light thread at the other end as shown in figure. The thread goes over a fixed pulley and supports a weight to produce a tension. The lowest frequency with which the heavy string resonates is 120 Hz. If the movable support is pushed to the right by 10 cm so that the joint is placed on the pulley, what will be the minimum frequency at which the string can resonate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When the light string is completely hanging down, the minimum frequency of the heavy string can be found by considering the case of a string clamped at both ends and vibrating in the fundamental mode. I am not sure what happens when a part of light string is not hanging. Does the heavier string oscillates with one of its end clamped and the other being free? I don't know how to proceed here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• string wave.png
    string wave.png
    2 KB · Views: 642
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what happens when a part of light string is not hanging. Does the heavier string oscillates with one of its end clamped and the other being free?

Yes.

You get a node at the cart end and an antinode at the end that isn't fixed (eg the light string end).

Likes 1 person
CWatters said:
Yes.

You get a node at the cart end and an antinode at the end that isn't fixed (eg the light string end).

Thanks CWatters! :smile:

I did try this before posting the problem here and was not getting the right answer. I then realized that I have read the question incorrectly. I interpreted that the string is pulled up to a length of 10 cm in second case. :redface:

1. What is the minimum frequency?

The minimum frequency refers to the lowest frequency at which a specific event or signal occurs. It can be measured in hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles or vibrations per second.

2. How is the minimum frequency determined?

The minimum frequency is determined by analyzing a set of data or a signal and identifying the lowest frequency at which it occurs. This can be done through various methods such as Fourier analysis or by using specialized equipment like spectrum analyzers.

3. Why is finding the minimum frequency important?

Finding the minimum frequency is important in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can help in understanding the behavior of systems, identifying patterns or anomalies, and designing efficient systems that can operate at the lowest possible frequency.

4. What factors can affect the minimum frequency?

The minimum frequency can be affected by various factors, including the properties of the medium the signal is passing through, the complexity of the system, and external factors such as interference. It can also be influenced by the sensitivity of the equipment used to measure it.

5. Can the minimum frequency change over time?

Yes, the minimum frequency can change over time. This can occur due to various factors such as changes in the environment, alterations in the system or signal, or fluctuations in the medium's properties. It is essential to continuously monitor the minimum frequency to identify any changes and understand their causes.