Finding the Orthogonal Trajectory of x^p + Cy^p = 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
mbaron
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I am working on this problem, and have a simple question.

Determine the orthogonal trajectory of
[tex]x^p + Cy^p = 1[/tex]
where p = constant.

I start out by taking the derivative with respect to x. My question is this. does
[tex]Cy^p[/tex] become [tex]Cpy^{p-1}[/tex] or [tex]C_1y^{p-1}[/tex] ?

Thanks,
Morgan
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
C1?? There isn't any "C1" in your original formula!

The derivative of yp with respect to y is pyp-1. The derivative of Cyp with respect to y is Cpyp-1. By the chail law, the derivative of Cyp is [itex]Cpy^{p-1}\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]. Solve the resulting equation for [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to find the slope of the tangent line to the original trajectory at each point.
 
If p is a constant and C is a constant isn't
[tex]C_1[/tex]
just another constant? Isn't
[tex]C_1y^{p-1}\frac{dy} {dx}[/tex]
the same as what you have?

Thanks for pointing out the chain rule, I missed that.