Finding the Pattern of Triangular Set of Numbers

• Thread starter isthereaspoon
  • Start date
In summary, a triangular set of numbers is a pattern where each number is equal to the sum of all the numbers before it, starting from 1. This pattern can be found using a formula or visually by drawing the numbers in a triangular shape. It has many applications in mathematics, such as in combinatorics, probability, and geometry, and can be extended infinitely. In real-world situations, it can be used to solve problems and create algorithms.
isthereaspoon
I have encountered such a triangular set of numbers:

-8 -7
28 -16 9
-56 -65 -22 -7
70 112 51 4 1

Apart from the obvious first column being (x-1)^8, what can you find for other columns?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks, it is simply hard.

The 'hypothenuse' seems to play a role in that

-8 -7
28 -16 9

-7 - 1 = -8
-7 - 9 = -16

As far as the other numbers go I haven't gotten them yet, but just putting this out there as a possible stepping stone

I find this triangular set of numbers interesting and would like to investigate further. First, I would like to clarify that the first column is not actually (x-1)^8, but rather the sequence of triangular numbers (1, 3, 6, 10, 15, ...).

Moving on to the other columns, I can see that the second column is formed by alternating positive and negative multiples of 8, starting with -8 and increasing by 8 for each subsequent number. This pattern could be expressed as (-1)^n * 8 * n, where n is the row number.

Similarly, the third column is formed by alternating positive and negative multiples of 7, starting with -7 and increasing by 7 for each subsequent number. This pattern could be expressed as (-1)^n * 7 * (n-1).

The fourth column follows a more complex pattern, with the numbers increasing in magnitude but alternating between positive and negative. After some analysis, I have found that the pattern can be expressed as (-1)^n * (n^2 - 4n + 5).

Finally, the fifth column seems to be a combination of the previous patterns, with the numbers increasing in magnitude and alternating between positive and negative. This can be expressed as (-1)^n * (n^3 - 6n^2 + 11n - 6).

In summary, the pattern for the triangular set of numbers can be described as:

Column 1: Triangular numbers (1, 3, 6, 10, 15, ...)
Column 2: (-1)^n * 8 * n
Column 3: (-1)^n * 7 * (n-1)
Column 4: (-1)^n * (n^2 - 4n + 5)
Column 5: (-1)^n * (n^3 - 6n^2 + 11n - 6)

Further exploration and analysis may uncover more patterns and relationships within this set of numbers. This could potentially lead to a deeper understanding of triangular numbers and their properties. Thank you for bringing this interesting set of numbers to my attention.

1. What is a triangular set of numbers?

A triangular set of numbers is a pattern where each number is equal to the sum of all the numbers before it, starting from 1. For example, the first few numbers in a triangular set are 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, and so on.

2. How do you find the pattern of a triangular set of numbers?

To find the pattern of a triangular set of numbers, you can use a formula: n(n+1)/2, where n represents the position of the number in the set. You can also visually see the pattern by drawing out the numbers in a triangular shape.

3. What is the significance of a triangular set of numbers in mathematics?

Triangular sets of numbers have many applications in mathematics, including in combinatorics, probability, and geometry. They also have connections to other mathematical concepts, such as Pascal's triangle and the binomial theorem.

4. Can the pattern of a triangular set of numbers be extended beyond the first few numbers?

Yes, the pattern of a triangular set of numbers can be extended infinitely. Each new number in the set will follow the same pattern of being the sum of all the numbers before it, starting from 1.

5. How is the pattern of a triangular set of numbers useful in real-world situations?

The pattern of a triangular set of numbers can be used to represent and solve real-world problems, such as calculating the number of possible combinations or arrangements of a set of objects. It can also be used in creating algorithms for computer programs and in financial analysis.