Finding the rate of change of an angle in triangle.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 11K views
ugeous
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hello again!

The base of an isosceles triangle is 20 cm and the altitude is increasing at the rate of 1 cm/min. At what rate is the base angle increasing when the area is 100 cm^2?


I think I have found the solution, but want to have someone else check it over b/c I am not 100% sure.

So...

tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = h/10
d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt = 1/10 (cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex])

A= b*h /2
100= 20h/2
h=10

at h=10
tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = 10/10
tan[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1

sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = cos[tex]\theta[/tex](tan[tex]\theta[/tex])
sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

sin^2[tex]\theta[/tex] + cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1
cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex] + cos^2[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1
cos^2 [tex]\theta[/tex] = 1/2

d[tex]\theta[/tex]/dt = 1/10(1/2) = 1/20

Answer: Rate increases at 1/20 radians/m
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right. But starting from tan(theta)=1, you should know the solution to that is theta=pi/4. And cos(pi/4)=sqrt(2)/2. So cos^2(theta)=2/4=1/2. Memorizing the values of trig functions at some selected values can save you that kind of roundabout way of finding cos^2(theta).