Finding the ratio of the fluxion of x using Newton's method

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
BurtZ
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Find the ratio of the fluxion of x to the fluxion of 1/x using Newton's synthetic method of fluxions.
Relevant Equations
None.
I was asked to find the ratio of the fluxion of x to the fluxion of 1/x using Newton's synthetic method of fluxions. I do not understand how to do this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you. But PF guidelines require you post your own attempt before assistance is allowwed.
So: what are we talking about ? What is a fluxion a la Newton (sounds like a recipe :smile: ) and how does one calculate it ?

##\ ##
 
BvU said:
I believe you. But PF guidelines require you post your own attempt before assistance is allowwed.
So: what are we talking about ? What is a fluxion a la Newton (sounds like a recipe :smile: ) and how does one calculate it ?

##\ ##
Thanks for your belief :)
A fluxion of the quantity x (which is dependent on time) is the speed at which speed increases.

Essentially it seems to be the derivative.