Finding the resulant from the product

• Thread starter leolaw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the empirical and molecular formulas of limonin, a compound found in citrus fruits. The problem involves balancing molar ratios using the mass of the product produced during combustion and the molar mass of limonin. The conversation also discusses the need to convert masses into moles and divide them to obtain integer values for the molar ratios.
leolaw
I am new to Chem, and I don't quite understand how to solve this problem:

Component of citrus fruits is the bitter compound limonin, which contains only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. When a 1.000-gram sample of limonin is subjected to complete combustion, 2.432 grams of [tex]CO_2[/tex] and 0.574 grams of [tex]H_2O[/tex] are producted. In addition, the molar mass of limonin is approximately 475 g/mol. Detrmine the emprirical formula and molecular fomrula of limonin.

I don't get how can you have a total of about 3gram for the product, whereas the resulatant is only 1gram? I thought the mass has to be equal throughout the problem

Chemistry news on Phys.org
atmospheric oxygen.

leolaw said:
I don't get how can you have a total of about 3gram for the product, whereas the resulatant is only 1gram? I thought the mass has to be equal throughout the problem

that is the whole point of the problem. you need to find the molar ratios to determine the formula for the limonin, and you need the masses to do this. once your molar ratios are balanced then the masses will work out.

so convert all of your masses into moles. divide them all by the lowest one to get integer values: these should be your molar ratios.

1. What is the process of finding the resultant from a product?

The process of finding the resultant from a product involves multiplying the individual components of the product and then adding them together. This is also known as the dot product or scalar product.

2. Why is it important to find the resultant from a product?

Finding the resultant from a product is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to determine the total effect of multiple factors or forces acting on a system.

3. Can the resultant be negative?

Yes, the resultant can be negative. This means that the direction of the resultant is opposite to that of the original vectors being multiplied. It is important to pay attention to the direction of vectors in the product when finding the resultant.

4. How is the resultant affected by the magnitude and direction of the original vectors?

The magnitude and direction of the original vectors have a direct impact on the magnitude and direction of the resultant. If the original vectors are in the same direction, the resultant will have a larger magnitude. If the original vectors are in opposite directions, the resultant will have a smaller magnitude.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the resultant from a product?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the resultant from a product: when the original vectors are perpendicular to each other, and when one or both of the original vectors have a magnitude of 0. In these cases, the resultant will also have a magnitude of 0.