Finding the result of a collision

• Thread starter InvisibleMan1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in modeling collisions between objects and the various factors involved, such as the force of impact and the result of the collision. The use of pre-calculated constants, like in friction, is questioned and the conversation also mentions Compton scattering and collisions of subatomic particles. The conversation also touches on the equations for collisions between larger objects, such as billiard balls. The formulas for calculating the velocities of the objects after the collision are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the mention of another question related to this topic.
InvisibleMan1
I am trying to figure out how to correctly model a collision between two objects. My original plan was to get the force of impact and use that to get the result of the collision, but apparently you need the result of collision before you can find the force of impact.

How would I find out what the result of a collision is without the force of impact? Are pre-calculated constants used, like in friction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! These were the formulas I was looking for:
v1 = (u1(m1-m2)+2*m2*u2)/(m1+m2)
v2 = (u2(m2-m1)+2*m1*u1)/(m1+m2)

I have another question along these lines, but I'll make a new thread for it.

1. How do you calculate the result of a collision?

The result of a collision can be calculated by using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. This involves determining the initial velocities and masses of the objects involved in the collision, and then using equations to calculate the final velocities and any changes in kinetic energy.

2. What factors affect the result of a collision?

The result of a collision can be affected by factors such as the initial velocities and masses of the objects, the angle of collision, and the elasticity of the objects. Other external factors, such as friction and external forces, can also impact the result of a collision.

3. How does the type of collision affect the result?

The type of collision, whether it is elastic or inelastic, can greatly impact the result. In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy such as heat or sound.

4. Can the result of a collision be predicted accurately?

In theory, the result of a collision can be predicted accurately given all the necessary information and without any external factors. However, in real-world scenarios, it is often difficult to account for all variables and external factors, so the result may not always be 100% accurate.

5. How can the result of a collision be applied in real life?

The result of a collision has many practical applications, such as in car safety design and accident reconstruction, sports equipment design, and understanding the behavior of particles in physics experiments. It can also be used to calculate the effects of collisions in industries such as transportation and construction.