Finding the Shear and Compressive Forces for a Running Rhino

In summary, a black Rhinoceros weighing 1400 Kg and running at 11 m/s must stop within 1 second to avoid falling into a ravine. To achieve this, the Rhino positions its front legs at a 60 degree angle to the ground. The front legs must resist both compressive and shear forces, with the compressive force being calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. With the help of F=ma and trigonometry, the horizontal force can be determined.
jamillah81
A black Rhinoceros weighs in at 1400 Kg and is running 11 m/s and has to stop in 1s or fall into a ravine. In order to accomplish this, the Rhino places his front legs directly out in front of him at a 60degree angle to the ground. What is the compressive and shear forces that the front legs must resist to accomplish this assuming that all of the force is transmitted through the front limbs.

D = delta V/t; a^2+b^2=c^2

I drew a diagram so I have a triangle with the vectors. The resistance vectors are up and right for a resulting vector 60 deg North of West. I think I use pythg. to find compressive force but am lost on shear. I think once I find shear I plug that in for the vertical vector and the horizontal vector is 11m/s^2. I have no idea where to start though to find shear.

Thanks. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. So now I have F=ma so the horizontal force is 15400 N and the angle is 60 so I need to find the other side and the hypoteneuse I think. Any help? I think I am drawing it wrong because I know that I use sohcahtoa but with which angle?

I figured it out thank you please close.

Related to Finding the Shear and Compressive Forces for a Running Rhino

What is the difference between shear and compressive forces?

Shear forces act parallel to the surface of an object, while compressive forces act perpendicular to the surface. Shear forces cause objects to slide or deform, while compressive forces cause objects to compress or buckle.

How are shear and compressive forces calculated?

Shear force is calculated as the force applied multiplied by the distance between the two opposing forces. Compressive force is calculated as the force applied divided by the cross-sectional area of the object.

What are some examples of shear and compressive forces in everyday life?

Shear forces can be seen when cutting food with a knife or when sliding a book off a shelf. Compressive forces can be seen when stacking books on top of each other or when sitting on a chair.

How do shear and compressive forces affect the strength of materials?

Shear forces can cause materials to fail along a certain plane, while compressive forces can cause materials to buckle or collapse. Both types of forces can weaken the strength of materials over time.

How can engineers use knowledge of shear and compressive forces in their designs?

Engineers must consider shear and compressive forces when designing structures or objects to ensure they can withstand the forces they will encounter. This may involve using specific materials or designing support systems to counteract these forces.