Finding the slope of the tangent

In summary, Dick helped me figure out the slope of the tangent at x = 1 for 2y^2 - xy -x^2 = 0. But because I don't know how to find the y value for the quadratic equation, he told me to substitute x=1 into the equation and solve for y. I got 1 and -1/2 as the y value and the slope.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Find the slope(s) of the tangent at x = 1 for 2y^2 - xy -x^2 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive figured the derivative to be 2x+4/4y+x

But I don't know how to make this equation work to find a y value so I can find the slope. I tried singling out a y value and got y = 1 but I am not sure if that's the correct way to go about doing this question.

Thank You for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a sign error in the derivative, I'd check it. But as to your original question the original curve is quadratic in y. You can have two different values of y that are both on the curve at x=1. They will give you two different slopes. If the problem doesn't give you any clue as to which to use, you'd better work out both.

Can you point out the sign error for me? I tried working it out again and I got the following

4y dy/dx - y + x dy/dx - 2x = 0

Which led me to 2x + y / 4y + x = dy/dx

As for the slopes, I am not sure how to go about finding y for the quadratic. Its the xy that's throwing me off.

Thank you for your help though!

I get 4y dy/dx - y - x dy/dx - 2x = 0. How did you get a + sign on the x dy/dx term? Don't worry about the xy term. Substitute x=1 into the equation first, then solve for y.

I used the product rule for derivatives to differentiate the xy.

Sure, I'm with you so far. But then shouldn't both of the terms you get from the product rule have a minus sign in front of them, since xy is SUBTRACTED?

okay i just thought of this and I get it now, my equation should have been

4y dy/dx -(y + x dy/dx) - 2x = 0

which leads me to the derivative that you got. Thank you. Now onto the slope. If I plug 1 into the equation to get a y value I get

2y^2 - 1y - 1^2 = 0
= 2y^2 -y - 1 = 0

Do I combine the y in the equation before solving for y?

You must have solved a quadratic equation before, right? You can either try to factor, complete the square or use the quadratic equation. Your choice.

Thank you, i remember that now.

For y I got 1 and -1/2

What do you think?

That's what I got.

Thanks Dick! I apprecaite your help very much.

Would you be able to look at the other question I posted up in a couple of threads below?

Oh one more thing, for the slope for this question, I got 1 and 2/3. Is the 2/3 right or is it - 1/6?

If I put y=(-1/2) into (2+y)/(4y-1) I don't get either 2/3 or -1/6. What are you doing?

I got the 2/3 by putting x and y into the deriviative giving me, 2(1) - 1/2 / 4(-1/2) - 1. I canceled out the -1/2

I got the - 1/6 by mistake, I actually meant -2/3 but I got that by working out the equation. I got 3/2 / -3 which I turned into - 2/3

(3/2)/(-3)=(-1/2). I think you might want to review arithmetic with fractions, it looks like you have similar problems in the other thread.

arrgg. I am not even thinking straight. I added the numerator while multiplying the denomenator. Its such a stupid mistake. Thanks for the help though!

What is the slope of the tangent?

The slope of the tangent is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point on a curve. It represents how much the curve is changing at that point.

How do you find the slope of the tangent?

The slope of the tangent can be found using the derivative of the function at the specific point. This can be calculated using the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule.

Why is it important to find the slope of the tangent?

Finding the slope of the tangent is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as calculating rates of change in physics and determining maximum and minimum values in optimization problems.

What is the difference between the slope of the tangent and the average slope?

The slope of the tangent represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the average slope represents the average rate of change over a given interval. The slope of the tangent gives a more precise understanding of the behavior of a curve at a single point, while the average slope gives a more general understanding of the overall trend of the curve.

Can the slope of the tangent be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point. It is also possible for the slope of the tangent to be zero, which indicates a horizontal tangent and a point of inflection on the curve.