Finding the terminal velocity of a model rocket from a list of velocities

In summary: You can graphing the data, but it's easier if you have the velocity at a certain point in the flight (e.g. at apogee). You could also use a computer program to do the calculation.You experimentally measured the height as a function of time from a freefall of 20k ft?Yes, the height data goes up to apogee only. So from launch to burnout and then to apogee. After 5ish seconds of burn time, it just coasts another few thousand feet to apogee. then the recovery system deploys, so very very little free fall data.The goal is to find the drag coefficient of
LT72884 said:
even plotted against velocity as the x axis or even as a data set, its still looks scattered
You are supposed to be plotting ##\beta## vs ##v_{avg}##? That is ##\beta## vs time; It's not really as useful. The purpose of this is to determine if ##\beta## depends on the velocity "##v_{avg}##"

Likes LT72884
Physics news on Phys.org
erobz said:
You are supposed to be plotting ##\beta## vs ##v_{avg}##? That is ##\beta## vs time; It's not really useful. The purpose of this is to determine if ##\beta## depends on the velocity "##v_{avg}##"
correct, and when i select that data, the velocity is a linear function with negative slope, and B is linear with 0 slope.
So somewhere, either excel is trying to be "smart" and adjust the data or i have selected the wrong data haha, which is possible
1677702651811.png

LT72884 said:
correct, and when i select that data, the velocity is a linear function with negative slope, and B is linear with 0 slope.
So somewhere, either excel is trying to be "smart" and adjust the data or i have selected the wrong data haha, which is possible
View attachment 323060
You've plotted ##v_{avg}## vs time as a separate series. Delete the chart. Put in a blank one and right chart area - click "select data"

##v_{avg}## is the ##x## values
##\beta## is the ##y## values

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
You've plotted ##v_{avg}## vs time as a separate series. Delete the chart. Put in a blank one and right chart area - click "select data"

##v_{avg}## is the ##x## values
##\beta## is the ##y## values
then what will the plotted data be? Im not sure i follow, but i will change the axis to match what you have said.

i get the exact same thing
1677703296066.png

LT72884 said:
then what will the plotted data be? Im not sure i follow, but i will change the axis to match what you have said.
It will be ##\beta## vs ##v_{avg}##

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
It will be ##\beta## vs ##v_{avg}##
i get the exact same thing as post 104
1677703438400.png

LT72884 said:
i get the exact same thing as post 104
I don't understand why there are so little a number of points?

This is what it should look like:

1677703454847.png

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
I don't understand why there are so little a number of points?

This is what it should look like:

View attachment 323063
me niether. Let me close excel and refresh my RAM.. MAYBE some stupid glitch. I will be back shortly

yup, something is not right. I selected all the average velocities as X and Beta as Y and this is my plot

1677703616590.png

LT72884 said:
yup, something is not right. I selected all the average velocities as X and Beta as Y and this is my plot

View attachment 323064
Thats because of those data points that are near -30,000! Just chop the data off below 20 m/s.

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Thats because of those data points that are near -30,000! Just chop the data off below 20 m/s.
hmm, its better but not the same. i made sure no crazy values were in the mix either.
1677703970120.png

LT72884 said:
hmm, its better but not the same. i made sure no crazy values were in the mix either.
View attachment 323065
Chop it off at 50 m/s

i will keep chopping data back until it either changes or i find out of a wrong calculation

EDIT: i just saw your post stating the same thing as me.

At 50m/s.
1677704341928.png

At 55m/s a drastic change
1677704401916.png

sorry it has taken so long. I REALLY REALLY REALLY APRECIATE your mass amounts of PAITENCE with me. I am really good at book work and homework, but real world stuff gets to me and it makes me sad and nervous for my future carer.

this reminds me of slope field diagrams in a way, im guessing where the lin flattens out is terminal velocity? not sure that is correct thinking on my end because based on a terminal V calculator online, i get 598m/s based on the same numbers i used. I am probably jumping ahead

EDIT, i added a linear trend line

LT72884 said:
sorry it has taken so long. I REALLY REALLY REALLY APRECIATE your mass amounts of PAITENCE with me. I am really good at book work and homework, but real world stuff gets to me and it makes me sad and nervous for my future carer.
You are going to make mistakes, and you'll learn. Get ready to swallow your pride. Thats probably universal for any young engineer.

Likes LT72884
LT72884 said:
At 50m/s.
View attachment 323066
View attachment 323067
This is why scale is really important. How large are these fluctuations when you step back and examine it. You are taking measurements with some sensor, that has some error. You aren't going to get perfection. How much does the average ##\beta## change from 50 -100 , vs 100- 150, vs 150-200? How much is the ##C_d## based on the average for each range?

Last edited:
erobz said:
You are going to make mistakes, and you'll learn. Get ready to swallow your pride. Thats probably universal for any young engineer.
I agree about the pride. That is why im REALLY grateful that you showed me ALL the steps. I do not expect that from everyone or anyone, and when i have no single clue what i am doing, its so nice to see an example ALL the way through. That is how i learn. step by step and examining each section.
Now that we have this graph with a trend line, what is the next step in determining the terminal velocity?

erobz said:
This is why scale is really important. How large are these fluctuations when you step back and examine it. You are taking measurements with some sensor, that has some error. You aren't going to get perfection. How much does the average ##\beta## change from 50 -100 , vs 100- 150, vs 150-200? How much is the ##C_d## based on the average for each range?
beta changes alot from 50 to 100m/s but then the system settles around 200m/s. The Drag Coef seems to be an average of 0.6 from 150 to 200m/s.

LT72884 said:
At 50m/s.
View attachment 323066
View attachment 323067
That looks like what I'd expect. In my experience (having done similar Cd estimation on some of my rockets), you get pretty noisy data but the higher speed average value ends up being pretty reasonable (and the 0.6 that you found does appear reasonable to me).

The multiple discrete lines of data points at lower speed is also expected - that's due to accelerometer resolution and the fact that at low speeds even with a fairly high Cd, acceleration is low (and thus measurement accuracy and precision are also low unless you had a much fancier and more expensive accelerometer).

Likes erobz, LT72884 and berkeman
cjl said:
That looks like what I'd expect. In my experience (having done similar Cd estimation on some of my rockets), you get pretty noisy data but the higher speed average value ends up being pretty reasonable (and the 0.6 that you found does appear reasonable to me).

The multiple discrete lines of data points at lower speed is also expected - that's due to accelerometer resolution and the fact that at low speeds even with a fairly high Cd, acceleration is low (and thus measurement accuracy and precision are also low unless you had a much fancier and more expensive accelerometer).
so what is happening at 200m/s with this graph? thats where the system settles too. Is this terminal velocity?
I am not sure if it is or not because using the Vt calculation using my 0.62 Cd, density, etc, i get that Vt is close to 600m/s
1677715964280.png

thanks

LT72884 said:
so what is happening at 200m/s with this graph? thats where the system settles too. Is this terminal velocity?
I am not sure if it is or not because using the Vt calculation using my 0.62 Cd, density, etc, i get that Vt is close to 600m/s
View attachment 323073

thanks
The graph finds ##\beta##. Now, assuming that it is a constant, to find the terminal velocity you have solve the eq in post #40.

To do that: What is the acceleration of the rocket at terminal velocity?

Note: This requires no integration. fully solving the ODE in general for velocity as a function of time is not necessary to determine ##v_{term}##

Last edited:
Likes LT72884
erobz said:
The graph finds ##\beta##. Now, assuming that it is a constant, to find the terminal velocity you have solve the eq in post #40.

To do that: What is the acceleration of the rocket at terminal velocity?

Note: This requires no integration. fully solving the ODE in general for velocity as a function of time is not necessary to determine ##v_{term}##
"To do that: What is the acceleration of the rocket at terminal velocity?" Well, my thinking is either 0 or 9.81 since terminal velocity is where Fd and Fg equalize. So probably 0 then

LT72884 said:
"To do that: What is the acceleration of the rocket at terminal velocity?" Well, my thinking is either 0 or 9.81 since terminal velocity is where Fd and Fg equalize. So probably 0 then
Actually, I was being a bit hasty. You need to write the DE for the falling rocket first, and then do what I said.

Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Actually, I was being a bit hasty. You need to write the DE for the falling rocket first, and then do what I said.
ok, cool. I have noticed i do not have 0 in my data for acceleration so im guessing its when acceleration is a differnt value.

post #40 is that not the DE?

LT72884 said:
post #40 is that not the DE?
Its similar. But you have to think about the directions of the forces when its falling.

LT72884 said:
ok, cool. I have noticed i do not have 0 in my data for acceleration so im guessing its when acceleration is a differnt value.
You are not going to find terminal velocity in your data. Why do you think you would?

erobz said:
You are not going to find terminal velocity in your data. Why do you think you would?
somewhere along the line we were discussing finding the terminal velocity. We discussed how its exponential and if i integrate the equation we have, i do indeed get the terminal velocity equation inside. Somehow i thought we were finding both the Cd and terminal velocity thats why haha. but maybe somewhere we changed our minds because hte math gets to crazy. You also said something about how you think Vt is around 100m/s or so...

wait, i might be taking your question to literal...
1677720932609.png

LT72884 said:
somewhere along the line we were discussing finding the terminal velocity. We discussed how its exponential and if i integrate the equation we have, i do indeed get the terminal velocity equation inside. Somehow i thought we were finding both the Cd and terminal velocity thats why haha. but maybe somewhere we changed our minds because hte math gets to crazy
View attachment 323075
Firstly, that is a different equation altogether. If you want to solve for the velocity as a function of time you will have to solve the new differential equation (that you haven't yet derived like I asked)

But yes. Minds were changed along the way. You will find that to be a very real part of real world problem solving. You dive in with some idea, and many times the problem or question itself will evolve as you begin to untangle things. Nothing in real world is "solve this using a,b,c,d, assuming d,e,f,g". It's quite literally...Here is this problem...we think, you figure out the rest! I had nothing more than an approach idea wasn't immediately sure what the exact answer was, or how the dots would connect. I started down a road that would have been a real back breaker...and then I had a moment of "clarity" along the way...a "duh" moment if you will.

If you are just after terminal velocity, then solving for ##v(t)## via an integration is not necessary. You can, if you want. Like I said. Its not that equation you've written out above. That is for linear drag models.

Last edited:
Likes LT72884
erobz said:
Firstly, that is a different equation altogether. If you want to solve for the velocity as a function of time you will have to solve the new differential equation (that you haven't yet derived like I asked)

But yes. Minds were changed along the way. You will find that to be a very real part of real world problem solving. You dive in with some idea, and many times the problem or question itself will evolve as you begin to untangle things. Nothing in real world is "solve this using a,b,c,d, assuming d,e,f,g". It's quite literally...Here is this problem...we think, you figure out the rest! I had nothing more than an approach idea wasn't immediately sure what the exact answer was, or how the dots would connect. I started down a road that would have been a real back breaker...and then I had a moment of "clarity" along the way...a "duh" moment if you will.

If you are just after terminal velocity, then solving for ##v(t)## via an integration is not necessary. You can, if you want. Like I said. Its not that equation you've written out above. That is for linear drag models.
there are other Vt equations as well i could probably use.
now to answer your question, i thought Vt would be in my data. but maybe its not since its not completely free fall. If it were free fall, i would expect to see acceleration go to 0 at some point when the object has stopped accelerating and velocity is now constant (not increasing)

second, i noticed some of my Beta values are negative. technically they should not be negative at all because B=(Cd)(area)(rho)(0.5)

LT72884 said:
there are other Vt equations as well i could probably use.
now to answer your question, i thought Vt would be in my data. but maybe its not since its not completely free fall. If it were free fall, i would expect to see acceleration go to 0 at some point when the object has stopped accelerating and velocity is now constant (not increasing)
Correct. It wold be in there if you dropped you rocket from 20k ft, but you launched it to 20k ft , and ejected a parachute.

Likes LT72884
LT72884 said:
second, i noticed some of my Beta values are negative. technically they should not be negative at all because B=(Cd)(area)(rho)(0.5)
Also correct, the β values fluctuate around because of the instrument you used. This is the difference between Accuracy and precision. If you want both in an instrument you usually have to pay 💰. If you want accuracy,precision, and range 💰 💰.The hope in using the average values was that the “truth” was somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Likes LT72884