Finding the value of an integral given a graph

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the value of a definite integral using a graph of an anti-derivative function. The answer choices are 11, 12, 13, 14, or 15, and the graph is already the anti-derivative. The approach of using the Riemann Sum technique and considering the sign of the function is discussed, and the correct answer is determined to be 11.
turbokaz

Homework Statement

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1xa2f&s=5 (this shows the graph that is related to the problem)
is the graph of an anti-derivative, F, of a
function f, use this graph to determine the value of I=∫ from 0 to 8 |f(x)|dx.
value of the definite integral

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer choices are 11, 12, 13, 14, or 15. I have no idea how to get these answers. I looked at the graph and used Reimann Sum technique of counting up the squares, but I get numbers in the 20's. For absolute value functions, I know you switch any negative values to positive, but this whole function looks positive to me? Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi turbokaz,

The plot is the antiderivative already, no need to integrate it further.
How do you calculate the definite integral between two points from the antiderivative?

What do you think about the sign of f(x)? In what domain is it positive and where is it negative?

ehild

F(b)-F(a)?
F(b) is 1, F(a) is 2. 1--2=3?

Bump...I'm still not getting anywhere

Nevermind. I understand the problem now. The answer is 11.

Congratulation!:smile:

ehild

What does finding the value of an integral given a graph mean?

Finding the value of an integral given a graph is a mathematical process that involves calculating the area under a curve represented by the graph.

Why is finding the value of an integral important?

Finding the value of an integral is important because it helps us determine the total change or accumulation of a given quantity over a certain interval.

What is the process for finding the value of an integral given a graph?

The process for finding the value of an integral involves dividing the area under the curve into smaller rectangles and approximating the total area by summing up the areas of these rectangles. This process is known as Riemann sum. The more rectangles we use, the more accurate our approximation will be. We can also use calculus techniques such as the definite integral to find the exact value of the integral.

What are the common techniques used for finding the value of an integral given a graph?

Some common techniques used for finding the value of an integral given a graph include the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, integration by parts, and integration using trigonometric identities.

Can I use technology to find the value of an integral given a graph?

Yes, technology such as calculators and computer software can be used to find the value of an integral given a graph. These tools can help speed up the process and provide more accurate results.