Finding the Velocity of a Bullet Inside the Barrel

In summary, the velocity of a bullet is 348 m/s at the three different points studied, and the kinetic and potential energy are both high.
Br0kenS0cial
Ok, I'm not the best physics student and I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew with this project

I am trying to find the velocity of a bullet while it is inside the barrel of a gun at three different points.

The mass of the bullet is 13g, and the Force acting on the bullet is about 206842710 N/m^2 (I think?)

The barrel is 0.114m long, and I'm looking at three intervals (0.038m, 0.076m, 0.0114m)

What I'm trying to find is the velocity as well as the kinetic and potential energy acting on the bullet.

I am more or less stumped, can anybody help? This project is due tomorrow, I can't see myself sleeping much tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the mass and the force (that's a very big number by the way), use Newton's law (F = m a) to find the acceleration. Are you assuming it is constant inside the barrel? What formula's do you know that relate velocity, position and time? If you have the velocity, you can plug it into the kinetic energy formula (what is it?)
Good luck!

I must have fudged my normal force. The acceleration is too fast by about two decimal places.

p.s: Oh...er...sorry about putting this in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
206842710 N/m^2 or 206.8 MPa is a pretty good pressure.

One needs the cross-sectional area of the bullet in order to find the force.

F = P * A where A is the surface area normal to the pressure.

Thanks a billion, but I figure out the problem through more...logical channels.

I just did some more researched and used the velocity as a starting point, rather than using the Normal Force (in psi, no less)

These numbers make much more sense to me:

Velocity: 348 m/s
Mass = 0.01kg
Normal Force= 37868.132N
Kinetic Energy= 608J
Distance= 0.038M
Acceleration= 3186813.2M/S^2
Time= 0.0001092S

Thanks for the help, everybody. I may need to call upon it again.

Related to Finding the Velocity of a Bullet Inside the Barrel

What is the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel?

The velocity of a bullet inside the barrel can vary based on a number of factors, such as the type of gun, the type of ammunition, and the length of the barrel. It is typically measured in feet per second (fps) or meters per second (m/s).

How do you measure the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel?

The most common method for measuring the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel is through the use of a chronograph. This device uses sensors to measure the time it takes for the bullet to travel between two points, allowing for the calculation of its velocity.

Why is it important to know the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel?

Knowing the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel is important for a number of reasons. It can help determine the accuracy and range of a firearm, as well as the amount of kinetic energy the bullet will have upon impact.

What factors can affect the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel?

There are several factors that can affect the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel, including the type and weight of the bullet, the amount of gunpowder, and the length and condition of the barrel. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

Is there a way to increase the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel?

Yes, there are several ways to potentially increase the velocity of a bullet inside the barrel. These include using a longer barrel, using a more powerful gunpowder, and using a lighter bullet. However, it is important to note that increasing velocity can also affect accuracy and can be dangerous, so it is important to consult with a professional before making any modifications.