Finding the Vertical Tangent Line of x3 + xy - y2 = 10 Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vertical tangent line of a curve defined by x3 + xy - y2 = 10. The method of finding the slope and setting the denominator equal to 0 is suggested as a way to determine when the tangent line is vertical.
sonofjohn
The curve defined by x3 +xy - y2 = 10 has a vertical tangent line when x = ?

To find when the tangent line is vertical, could I find when the slope is undefined for the original function? The way I previously tried this problem was by taking the first derivative and then finding when x = 0. That is one of the multiple choice answers but that cannot be right, for that would find the horizontal tangent and not the vertical tangent line.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now that I think about it couldn't I find where the slope is undefined by finding where the first derivative is undefined?

If I have

dy/dx = (-3x^2 - x)/(x-2y)

could I set the denominator = 0 and solve?

Yes, of course. I was wondering why you were setting "x= 0" before.

1. What is a vertical tangent line?

A vertical tangent line is a line that is perpendicular to a curve at a specific point where the slope of the curve is undefined. This means that the line is perpendicular to the x-axis and has an infinite slope.

2. How do you find the equation of a vertical tangent line?

To find the equation of a vertical tangent line, you need to first find the x-coordinate of the point where the vertical tangent line intersects the curve. This can be done by setting the derivative of the curve equal to zero and solving for x. Then, the equation of the vertical tangent line will be x = the x-coordinate of the point of intersection.

3. Can a vertical tangent line exist at more than one point on a curve?

Yes, a vertical tangent line can exist at multiple points on a curve. This occurs when the curve has a sharp turn or point of inflection, where the slope of the curve changes from positive to negative (or vice versa) in a short distance.

4. What does a vertical tangent line tell us about the curve?

A vertical tangent line tells us that the slope of the curve is undefined at that specific point. This indicates a sharp change in the direction of the curve, which could signify a maximum or minimum point, or a point of inflection.

5. How is a vertical tangent line different from a horizontal tangent line?

A vertical tangent line is perpendicular to the x-axis and has an infinite slope, while a horizontal tangent line is parallel to the x-axis and has a slope of zero. A vertical tangent line indicates a sharp change in direction, while a horizontal tangent line indicates a constant slope.