Finding theoretical output of my hydro generaator thanks.

In summary, the speaker completed a project on constructing a small scale hydro electricity generation system and was able to generate electricity using a turbine and a generator. They are now looking for theoretical values to compare with their experimental values in their report. They provide the experimental values, including the maximum output AC voltage, maximum output watts, resistance of coils, number of coils, length of coils, current through coils, and revolutions per second of the generator shaft. They are unsure about the magnetic field and are looking for direction on what equations to use, as they do not have their textbook with them.
suspecteg

Homework Statement

hey guys i have been undertaking a project on constructing a small scale hydro electricity generation system. I completed my project and was able to generate electricity using a turbine and a genrator, what i need to do now is find theoretical values for the electricity generated so i can compare them to my experimental values in my report.

My experimental values :

max output AC voltage : 4.4V
max output watts : 0.066W
resistance of coils : 10 ohms
number of coils : 340
length of 340 coils : 3metres
current through coils : 0.015A
magnetic field : i didnt calculate it, and i don't know the strenghts of the magnets although i can try find out tomorrow if need be.
revolutions per second of generator shaft : unknown. (shaft is connected to magnets) and this is inside a box and then the outside of the box is wrapped in coils.

Homework Equations

---- guys i am really lost here. i left my textbook at school and the equations i can think of are the emf equations f = bil , torque bia? i really don't remember. but yeah i am just trying to get some direction towards what i have to look for on the internet even or if i need to take more measurments from my generator.

The Attempt at a Solution

------ thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump please.

Dear student,

Congratulations on completing your project on constructing a small scale hydro electricity generation system. It is important to compare your experimental values with theoretical values to validate your results and gain a better understanding of your system.

To find theoretical values for the electricity generated, you will need to use the basic principles of electricity and magnetism. The following equations may be helpful:

1. Faraday's Law: This law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a coil is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. This can be written as: EMF = -N * dΦ/dt, where N is the number of turns in the coil and Φ is the magnetic flux.

2. Ohm's Law: This law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This can be written as: I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.

3. Power equation: The power output of your generator can be calculated using the equation P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is current.

Based on your experimental values, you can calculate the theoretical values using the above equations. You will need to determine the magnetic field strength and the revolutions per second of the generator shaft. You can also use the length and number of coils to calculate the area of the coil and the magnetic flux through it.

I would recommend doing some research on the internet to find more information on the equations mentioned above and their applications in electrical generators. You can also refer to your textbook or consult with your teacher for further guidance.

I hope this helps you in finding the theoretical output of your hydro generator. Good luck with your project!

Related to Finding theoretical output of my hydro generaator thanks.

1. How do I calculate the theoretical output of my hydro generator?

The theoretical output of a hydro generator can be calculated by multiplying the water flow rate (in cubic feet per second) by the hydraulic head (in feet) and the efficiency of the generator. This formula is known as the theoretical power equation: P = Q x H x η.

2. What is the efficiency of a hydro generator?

The efficiency of a hydro generator refers to the percentage of the water's energy that is converted into electrical energy. The efficiency can vary depending on the type and size of the generator, but typically ranges from 80% to 90%.

3. How can I determine the water flow rate and hydraulic head for my hydro generator?

The water flow rate and hydraulic head can be determined by conducting a site survey or by consulting with a hydroelectric engineer. They will take into consideration factors such as the water source, topography, and turbine type to determine the appropriate values for your specific generator.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the theoretical output of a hydro generator?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the theoretical output of a hydro generator, including the condition of the turbine, the quality of the water source, and any external factors such as weather or debris. It is important to regularly maintain and monitor your generator to ensure optimal performance.

5. How accurate is the theoretical output calculation compared to the actual output of a hydro generator?

The theoretical output calculation is a good estimate of the expected output of a hydro generator, but it may not always be 100% accurate. Various factors such as maintenance, weather, and changes in water flow can affect the actual output of the generator. It is recommended to regularly monitor and track the actual output of your generator to compare it with the theoretical output and make any necessary adjustments.