Finding Time From Acceleration

In summary, the model rocket takes off from ground level with an upward acceleration of 4.0 g for 33 seconds. After reaching its maximum height, it falls back to the ground. To find the time from the initial upward acceleration stopping to the rocket returning to the ground, one can calculate the time to max height using the equation V = a*t and then find the additional time using the equation X = 1/2*g*t^2. Adding these two times together will give the total time from the initial upward acceleration stopping to the rocket returning to the ground.
lazyboi605

Homework Statement

A model rocket takes off from ground level accelerating upward at 4.0 g. This upward acceleration lasts for 33 s. Afterward the rocket continues upward, eventually stops rising, then falls back to the ground.

How much time passes from the initial upward acceleration stoping to the rocket returning to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on how to solve it?

I am using velocity/gravity, but it don't seem to work out.

lazyboi605 said:
I am using velocity/gravity, but it don't seem to work out.

That only gives you the time to max height.

If you want, you can figure that height and then get the time to fall in gravity from x = 1/2*g*t2

Then just add the 2 times together.

Would i need to minus 33, because i am trying to find the time passed from initial upward acceleration stopping.

Also i don't understand how to find the time to max height. because it will still move after it accelerate.

lazyboi605 said:
Would i need to minus 33, because i am trying to find the time passed from initial upward acceleration stopping.
V = a*t
So when the engine shuts off, you are going at (4*g)*33 m/s
and dividing by g yields the additional time to max height = 4*33 s.

Now solve for X of engine shutoff X = 1/2 *4*g *t2
That's the point when the engine stops.

Figure the additional height from that point by
V2 = 2*g*x

Add the 2 heights - up to engine shutoff and from shutoff to 0 velocity at the top.

Using that height now as your X you have only to solve for the time using

X = 1/2*g*t2

That time to fall + time to max height from engine shut off is what they want.

Related to Finding Time From Acceleration

1. What is acceleration and why is it important in time management?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In time management, it is important because it helps us understand how quickly tasks or projects are progressing and allows us to make adjustments to meet deadlines.

2. How can acceleration be calculated to find time?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Once acceleration is known, it can be used in equations to find the time it will take for an object to reach a certain velocity or distance.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of using acceleration to find time?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of using acceleration to find time. These include external forces acting on the object, changes in acceleration over time, and measurement errors.

4. How does acceleration relate to productivity and efficiency?

Acceleration can be a helpful indicator of productivity and efficiency. If an object is accelerating at a constant rate, it means that work is being done consistently and efficiently. However, if acceleration is inconsistent or slowing down, it may be a sign of inefficiency or obstacles in the way of progress.

5. Can acceleration be negative and how does that impact time management?

Yes, acceleration can be negative if the velocity of an object is decreasing. In terms of time management, this means that tasks or projects may be falling behind schedule. It is important to monitor negative acceleration and make necessary adjustments to stay on track with time management goals.