Finding total energy as a function of the Fermi Energy

In summary, the numerator of this fraction is the total energy U_{total}, which is the average particle energy \overline{E} times the total number of particles N. The minimum (T=0) energy of a gas of spin-1/2 fermions may be written as U_{total}=\frac{3}{10} (\frac{3\pi^2 \hbar^3}{m^{3/2}V})^{2/3} N^{5/3}.
hb1547

Homework Statement

"The numerator of this fraction:

[tex]\overline{E}=\frac{\int \! E N(E)D(E)dE}{\int \! N(E)D(E)dE}[/tex]
(N(E) is the number of particles in an energy state, D(E) is the density of states)

is the total (as opposed to the average particle) energy, which we'll call [tex]U_{total}[/tex] here (In other words, the total system energy U is the average particle energy [tex]\overline{E}[/tex] times the total number of particles N.) Calculate [tex]U_{total}[/tex] as a function of [tex]E_{Fermi}[/tex] and use this to show that the minimum (T=0) energy of a gas of spin-1/2 fermions may be written as:

[tex]U_{total}=\frac{3}{10} (\frac{3\pi^2 \hbar^3}{m^{3/2}V})^{2/3} N^{5/3}[/tex]

Homework Equations

- The above.
[tex]D(E) = \frac{(2s+1)m^{3/2}V}{\pi^2 \hbar^3 \sqrt{2}}E^{1/2}[/tex]
[tex]N(E)_{FD} = \frac{1}{e^{(E-E_{f})/k_{B}T}+1}[/tex]
[tex]N(E_{F})_{FD} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\overline{E} = k_{B}T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time deciding what should be multiplied together, and in which ways.

I thought it would be [tex]N(E_{F})_{FD} * \overline{E}[/tex] (the ones above), yet that obviously isn't a function of [tex]E_{Fermi}[/tex], it's just a function of temperature.

I guess I'm having a hard time deciding which equations I should be using.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just finished the same problem. I calculated the total energy using the numerator term in the average energy equation. You can integrate from 0 to E Fermi because T = 0. Then plug in the Fermi energy equation from the book (i'm assuming this is from Harris). It's eqn 9-42. After a lot of cancelation you get the expression given in the book.

Yeah this is the Harris problem haha.

So I plug in the Fermi energy equation for E in the top, as well as [tex]N(E)_{FD}[/tex] and [tex]D(E)[/tex]? Sounds good, I'll try it and see where it gets me. Thanks, I was just leaving the term as E and it wasn't working too well

Hmm actually I'm still having some trouble with this one. I get why you can integrate from 0 to [tex]E_{Fermi}[/tex], yet I'm not following when you plug in the equation for [tex]E_{Fermi}[/tex]. Did you do it before or after integrating?

If before, I keep getting to an integral I can't solve:
[tex]\int_{0}^{E_{F}} \! \frac{E^{1/2}}{e^{(E-E_{F})/k_{b}T}+1} dE[/tex]
(there are a bunch of constants on the outside as well)

If after, not a lot seems to cancel out -- the integral just becomes more complicated

Remember that in
[tex]
\overline{E}=\frac{\int \! E N(E)D(E)dE}{\int \! N(E)D(E)dE}
[/tex]
The numerator represents the total energy. This is what you want to use to calculate it. Your limits are from 0 to Fermi energy. The occupational number (N(E)) turns to 1, because at T = 0 it is a step function equaling to 1 up to the Fermi energy. The density function (D(E)) is given in the book Eqn 9-39. Do not forget to include the E that is not part of the density function. After integrating, you should have total energy in terms of Fermi energy. Now plug in the expression for Fermi energy Eqn 9-42, and simplify.

OH I get it -- that clears it up a lot. Thanks! I was able to get it from there, I really appreciate the help!

1. What is Fermi energy and why is it important in finding total energy as a function?

Fermi energy is the highest energy state occupied by an electron at absolute zero temperature in a solid material. It is important in finding total energy as a function because it represents the energy level at which electrons are most likely to be found in a solid, and therefore plays a crucial role in determining the electronic and thermodynamic properties of a material.

2. How is Fermi energy related to the number of electrons in a material?

Fermi energy is directly proportional to the number of electrons in a material. As the number of electrons increases, the Fermi energy also increases. This is because the Fermi energy represents the energy level at which the highest occupied electron state is located, and as more electrons are added, the highest energy state also increases.

3. Can the Fermi energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, the Fermi energy can be measured experimentally using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and Hall effect measurements. These methods involve directly measuring the energy levels of electrons in a material and can provide an accurate estimate of the Fermi energy.

4. How does the Fermi energy change with temperature?

The Fermi energy is a fixed value at absolute zero temperature, but it changes as the temperature increases. As the temperature increases, the electrons in a material gain more thermal energy and are able to occupy higher energy states. This results in an increase in the Fermi energy, as the highest occupied energy state moves to a higher level.

5. What is the significance of finding total energy as a function of the Fermi energy?

Finding the total energy as a function of the Fermi energy allows us to understand the electronic and thermodynamic properties of a material. The total energy can be used to calculate other important quantities such as the electronic density of states, specific heat, and magnetic susceptibility. It also provides insight into the behavior of electrons in a material and their interactions with each other.