Finding Turbine Inlet State - Thermodynamics

In summary, the problem involves finding the turbine inlet state (Pinlet, Tinlet, Sinlet) based on given values for turbine work output rate, isentropic efficiency, and exit state. The equations used include W = ΔH and h = hf + xhfg. The attempt at a solution involved finding hexit using the given values and then using the value for Wturbine to find hinlet, but further information is needed, such as the mass flow rate, to fully solve the problem.
Magnawolf

Homework Statement

max. Turbine work output rate: 6.0MW
Turbine isentropic efficiency: 90%
Turbine exit state (isentropic): 40KPa, x=92%
Turbine and pump actual process are assumed adiabatic

Find turbine inlet state: Pinlet, Tinlet, Sinlet

Homework Equations

W = ΔH
h = hf + xhfg

The Attempt at a Solution

I find hexit = hf + 0.92hfg

where hf = hf @ 40KPa = 317.62 on sat. liquid table and hfg=2318.4. So then I find hexit = 2450.18 kj/kg.

Then I do Wturbine = h1 - h2' to find h1 = hinlet = 8636.1 kj/kg. I then tried to look up that h on the superheated table to find the pressure and temperature and stuff but that's way too high of a number. I need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnawolf said:
Then I do Wturbine = h1 - h2' to find h1 = hinlet = 8636.1 kj/kg. I then tried to look up that h on the superheated table to find the pressure and temperature and stuff but that's way too high of a number. I need help!

How? Where did you get Wturbine ? (units of kW/kg/s) You don't have a a mass flow rate to find Wturbine.
Have you included the entire problem statement?

1. What is the purpose of finding turbine inlet state in thermodynamics?

The purpose of finding turbine inlet state is to determine the initial state of the working fluid before it enters the turbine. This information is crucial in analyzing the efficiency and performance of a turbine, as well as predicting its output.

2. How is the turbine inlet state calculated?

The turbine inlet state is calculated using thermodynamic equations and properties of the working fluid such as temperature, pressure, and specific volume. These values can be measured or estimated based on the operating conditions and properties of the fluid.

3. Why is it important to accurately find the turbine inlet state?

Accurately finding the turbine inlet state is important because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of the turbine. Any errors in the initial state can lead to incorrect predictions and analysis, which can impact the operation and maintenance of the turbine.

4. What factors can affect the turbine inlet state?

The turbine inlet state can be affected by various factors such as changes in ambient conditions, variations in fuel properties, and changes in operating conditions. Other external factors such as equipment malfunction or human error can also impact the accuracy of the calculated inlet state.

5. How can the accuracy of finding turbine inlet state be improved?

The accuracy of finding turbine inlet state can be improved by using more accurate and precise measurement equipment, considering all possible factors that can affect the state, and continuously monitoring and adjusting for any changes in operating conditions. It is also important to regularly calibrate and maintain equipment to ensure accuracy.