Finding value of c to make left/right continuous

In summary, I tried using a method that used finding a point such as (-1,x) and (2,x) but seeing how c is in the middle equation, that didn't work out so well. So I'm stuck as to what to do. I've done a question sort of like this a long time ago but it was just asking for f(x) to be continuous. There is one value of x where "left continuous" can be wrong, and one point where "right continuous" can be wrong. Can you find those two points?
phrox

Homework Statement

Given:
g(x) = {x+3 for x<-1, cx for -1≤x≤2, x+2 for x>2

Questions:
Find value of c such that g(x) is a)left continuous. b)right continuous.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a method that used finding a point such as (-1,x) and (2,x) but seeing how c is in the middle equation, that didn't work out so well. So I'm stuck as to what to do.
I've done a question sort of like this a long time ago but it was just asking for f(x) to be continuous. Didn't specifically ask about left/right so I'm stumped there.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is one value of x where "left continuous" can be wrong, and one point where "right continuous" can be wrong. Can you find those two points?
For (a) you have to care about the first one, for (b) the second one is relevant.

Likes 1 person
Actually no I don't know how to find those two points sadly.. And what do you mean about you have to care about the first one, and for b the second one is relevant

Is the function left-continuous at x=-4?
Is the function left-continuous at x=0?

Is the function left-continuous within those 3 regions of the function definition?
Is the function left-continuous at the first border between those regions?
Is the function left-continuous at the second border between those regions?
Is there any x-value not covered with these three questions?

If one of those answers depend on c, which value of c do you need?

Likes 1 person
Since x+3 is valid at x=-4, isn't it left continuous?
How do I check for continuity at x=0? Since it says the function is at cx

I guess the main question for me is how am I supposed to find out how to check if its continuous from a side.

phrox said:
Since x+3 is valid at x=-4, isn't it left continuous?
"valid"?
At that point, it is continuous, which implies left continuous.

How do I check for continuity at x=0? Since it says the function is at cx
With the definition of continuity.

I guess the main question for me is how am I supposed to find out how to check if its continuous from a side.
As with from both sides, you can just ignore function values on one side (so it is easier in some cases).

Likes 1 person
Okay, so if the function is continuous until x<-1,to check for this left continuity do I plug -1 into the first equation, giving 2. And then do I plug in -1 into the second equation giving -c? But 2 =/= -c.

That's all I'm getting from this, sorry I don't understand it very well..

phrox said:
But 2 =/= -c.
Why? What prevents -c to be 2?

Likes 1 person
Well I just thought that if 2 is the answer to the first, and -c is the answer to the second, then since they aren't the exact same values, how can they be continuous

phrox said:
Okay, so if the function is continuous until x<-1,to check for this left continuity do I plug -1 into the first equation, giving 2. And then do I plug in -1 into the second equation giving -c? But 2 =/= -c.

That's all I'm getting from this, sorry I don't understand it very well..
Sometimes it helps to actually sketch the function. Sketch y=x+3 for x<-1 and y=x+2 for x>2. You can leave the interval -1<x<2 clear for just now, but if you drew the sketch accurately, it should quickly help you determine the sign of c.

Likes 1 person
yes I see the sign of c is positive. How can I just find the value of c from this? Is it just 1?

phrox said:
yes I see the sign of c is positive.
Yes Edit: misread question, sign of c is clear depending on whether you consider the left continuity or right continuity.
How can I just find the value of c from this? Is it just 1?
It is not what I get. Since each function in each interval are linear functions or polynomials of degree 1, they are continuous on the real line. In particular, ##\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = f(a)## Use your sketch to decide what 'a' to use and what function to use in each interval.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
So I used a=-1 for the x+3 interval, which makes 2. I just don't understand where I'm supposed to go from this step. That "simple" limit you showed is odd to me, the f(a) doesn't make sense to me I guess.

If the limit of the first interval is 2, wouldn't this mean that the c value would have to be 2?

phrox said:
So I used a=-1 for the x+3 interval, which makes 2.
Apologies, I completely misread the question at first. Ignore my previous comment about the sign of c. What you have found above is that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow -1^-} x+3 = 2##. What you need to find in a) is the value of c that makes g(x) right continuous. This means as you approach -1 from the right, the value of cx (we use cx here since g(x) = cx for -1<x<2) tends to 2.

Likes 1 person
Alright so I clarified that 2 is the answer for a). That part makes sense now. But for b), how would the answer be any different? Since the lines will be in the same spots either way, would it be -2?

phrox said:
Alright so I clarified that 2 is the answer for a). That part makes sense now. But for b), how would the answer be any different? Since the lines will be in the same spots either way, would it be -2?
Yes, that's correct, the lines both go through the origin if that is what you mean. I am not sure how you made your deduction though. For b), you want to find the value of c that makes ##\lim_{x \rightarrow -1^+} cx = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1^-} x + 3= 2##

Likes 1 person
What do you mean by that's correct, which part? The answer being any different or the -2? So b) is either 2 or -2?

phrox said:
What do you mean by that's correct, which part? The answer being any different or the -2? So b) is either 2 or -2?
I mean that both answers are correct, that is c is -2 for (b) and 2 for (a), but I didn't quite understand your reasoning for (b).

Oh well I just assumed that since it's left continuous at 2 going in a positive direction, then if it's going in a negative direction(to the right) then it would have to be -2.

phrox said:
Oh well I just assumed that since it's left continuous at 2 going in a positive direction, then if it's going in a negative direction(to the right) then it would have to be -2.
No, because if say g(x) = 0 for x <-1, then c would obviously be zero to make g right continuous.

Oh.. Not sure how it's done then

phrox said:
Oh.. Not sure how it's done then
Do you understand the notation ##\lim_{x\rightarrow a} f(x) = f(a)##? This is the condition that has to be satisfied for f to be continuous. All functions within the piece wise defined function g(x) are polynomials and and the limit as x tends to some value a is the value of the polynomial at a.

If the equations above holds, then the left and right limits are the same. Now refer to your sketch. The limit of x+3 as x tends to -1 from the left is 2. To make g right continuous, the limit as x tends to -1 from the right should also be 2. But as g tends to -1 from the right, it is described by cx. So you want c such that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow -1^+} cx = 2.## Now solve for c.

Apply the same idea for the point a=2. Does this help?

1. What is the purpose of finding the value of c to make a function left or right continuous?

The value of c is used to ensure that a function is continuous at a specific point, either from the left or from the right. It allows us to determine if a function is well-behaved and does not have any sudden jumps or breaks at a particular point.

2. How is the value of c determined?

The value of c is determined by setting up and solving an equation that involves the left and right limits of the function at a specific point. By finding the value of c that satisfies this equation, we can make the function continuous at that point.

3. Can a function be both left and right continuous at the same point?

Yes, a function can be both left and right continuous at the same point. This means that the function is continuous at that point from both the left and right sides, and there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function.

4. What happens if the value of c cannot be determined?

If the value of c cannot be determined, it means that the function is not continuous at that point. This could be due to a sudden jump or break in the graph of the function, or because the function is undefined at that point.

5. How does finding the value of c affect the overall behavior of a function?

By finding the value of c to make a function left or right continuous, we are essentially filling in any gaps or holes in the graph of the function. This allows us to better understand the behavior of the function and make accurate predictions about its values at different points.