Finding volume using integrals.

In summary, the homework asks you to find the volume of a solid whose base is a region and whose cross-section is a square perpendicular to the x-axis. You are also asked to find the area of a shape that is similar to a cone.
MarcL
Huhh First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong question ( didn't know if this was considered pre cal. I have a gut feeling it is :P)

Homework Statement

Let R be the region bounded by y=tan x, y=0 and x = Pi/4
Find the volume of the solid whose base is region R and whose cross-section is a square perpendicular to the x-axis

Homework Equations

Huh well I don't know whether its cylindrical shell:
ab Pi(R)(Height)dx
or disk method
ab A(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even figure out what the graphs look like. The wording is really confusing. I tried using a pyramid shape with a square base because it says the cross section is a square and using similar triangle ( I think its called like that...) but I couldn't get the equation for the formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:
Huhh First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong question ( didn't know if this was considered pre cal. I have a gut feeling it is :P)
No, this is calculus, not precalculus.
MarcL said:

Homework Statement

Let R be the region bounded by y=tan x, y=0 and x = Pi/4
Find the volume of the solid whose base is region R and whose cross-section is a square perpendicular to the x-axis

Homework Equations

Huh well I don't know whether its cylindrical shell:
ab Pi(R)(Height)dx
or disk method
ab A(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even figure out what the graphs look like.
First off, you need to figure out what region R looks like. Surely you have studied the trig functions before taking this class.
MarcL said:
The wording is really confusing. I tried using a pyramid shape with a square base because it says the cross section is a square and using similar triangle ( I think its called like that...) but I couldn't get the equation for the formula.

The base isn't square. The vertical cross-sections are square.

BTW, why do you start some of your sentences with "Huh" or "Huhh"?

I don't know, force of habit when speaking out load transferred to my typing skills... thankfully not in essays. Plus English isn't my first or second language. And yeah i did study trig function I know what it looks like. I assumed the base was squared because all the other problems I did, whenever I took the cross section from the shape, it was always the same shape as the base ( so let's say a sphere, was a circle, a square-based pyramid was a square, etc...)

Now for the graph It goes from 0 to pi/4 which is a curve on the first quadrant. However with my assumption from before, If i rotate that shape around the x-axis, I can only take a circle as the cross section as my shape looks something very similar to a cone, no?

MarcL said:
I don't know, force of habit when speaking out load transferred to my typing skills... thankfully not in essays. Plus English isn't my first or second language. And yeah i did study trig function I know what it looks like. I assumed the base was squared because all the other problems I did, whenever I took the cross section from the shape, it was always the same shape as the base ( so let's say a sphere, was a circle, a square-based pyramid was a square, etc...)

Now for the graph It goes from 0 to pi/4 which is a curve on the first quadrant. However with my assumption from before, If i rotate that shape around the x-axis, I can only take a circle as the cross section as my shape looks something very similar to a cone, no?
There is NO rotation going on! The base of the shape is that graph of y = tan(x), 0 ≤ x ≤ ##\pi/4##.

To draw the solid, you need to be able to draw something in three dimensions.
1. Pick a point x in the interval.
2. Draw a line from the x-axis straight over to the curve. (I'm assuming that your graph is in the x-y plane in 3D.
3. Now draw a square whose vertical height is the same as its base. The square should be perpendicular to the x-axis.

Pick another point in the interval, and repeat the steps above.
Draw enough squares so that you have a good idea what the solid looks like.

Ah! I see it now! so my limits of integration would be from 0 to pi/4. and my Area would be tan^2(x)?

MarcL said:
Ah! I see it now! so my limits of integration would be from 0 to pi/4. and my Area would be tan^2(x)?
If you mean this --
$$ \int_0^{\pi/4} \tan^2(x)~dx$$

then, yes.

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much! and thanks for not giving me the answer. I like understanding what I'm doing! And that is what I meant!

1. What is the concept of finding volume using integrals?

The concept of finding volume using integrals is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be interpreted as the area under the curve. In the context of finding volume, the integral is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object by integrating the cross-sectional area along the length of the object.

2. What is the difference between using integrals and other methods to find volume?

Integrals are a more accurate and precise method for finding volume compared to other methods such as using geometric formulas. This is because integrals take into consideration the varying cross-sectional areas of the object, rather than assuming a constant cross-sectional area.

3. How do you set up an integral to find the volume of a solid?

To set up an integral for finding volume, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which represent the starting and ending points of the object. Then, you need to identify the function that represents the cross-sectional area of the object at each point along its length. This function is then integrated with respect to the variable representing the length of the object.

4. Can integrals be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, integrals can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects, as long as the cross-sectional area at each point along the length of the object can be represented by a function. This is why integrals are a powerful tool for finding volume, as they can be applied to a wide range of shapes and objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using integrals to find volume?

One limitation of using integrals to find volume is that it can be a time-consuming process, especially for complex shapes and objects. Additionally, integrals may not be suitable for finding the volume of objects with constantly changing cross-sectional areas, such as a spiral staircase. In these cases, other methods may be more efficient.