1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding volume using integrals.

1. May 22, 2013 #1
    Huhh First of all I'm sorry if this is the wrong question ( didn't know if this was considered pre cal. I have a gut feeling it is :P)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let R be the region bounded by y=tan x, y=0 and x = Pi/4
    Find the volume of the solid whose base is region R and whose cross-section is a square perpendicular to the x-axis

2. Relevant equations

Huh well I don't know whether its cylindrical shell:
    ab Pi(R)(Height)dx
    or disk method
    ab A(x) dx

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't even figure out what the graphs look like. The wording is really confusing. I tried using a pyramid shape with a square base because it says the cross section is a square and using similar triangle ( I think its called like that...) but I couldn't get the equation for the formula.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, this is calculus, not precalculus.
    First off, you need to figure out what region R looks like. Surely you have studied the trig functions before taking this class.
    The base isn't square. The vertical cross-sections are square.

BTW, why do you start some of your sentences with "Huh" or "Huhh"?

4. May 22, 2013 #3
    I don't know, force of habit when speaking out load transferred to my typing skills... thankfully not in essays. Plus English isn't my first or second language. And yeah i did study trig function I know what it looks like. I assumed the base was squared because all the other problems I did, whenever I took the cross section from the shape, it was always the same shape as the base ( so lets say a sphere, was a circle, a square-based pyramid was a square, etc...)

Now for the graph It goes from 0 to pi/4 which is a curve on the first quadrant. However with my assumption from before, If i rotate that shape around the x-axis, I can only take a circle as the cross section as my shape looks something very similar to a cone, no?

5. May 22, 2013 #4

Mark44

There is NO rotation going on!! The base of the shape is that graph of y = tan(x), 0 ≤ x ≤ ##\pi/4##.

To draw the solid, you need to be able to draw something in three dimensions.
    1. Pick a point x in the interval.
    2. Draw a line from the x-axis straight over to the curve. (I'm assuming that your graph is in the x-y plane in 3D.
    3. Now draw a square whose vertical height is the same as its base. The square should be perpendicular to the x-axis.

Pick another point in the interval, and repeat the steps above.
    Draw enough squares so that you have a good idea what the solid looks like.

6. May 22, 2013 #5
    Ah! I see it now!! so my limits of integration would be from 0 to pi/4. and my Area would be tan^2(x)?

7. May 22, 2013 #6

Mark44

If you mean this --
    $$ \int_0^{\pi/4} \tan^2(x)~dx$$

then, yes.

8. May 22, 2013 #7
    Thank you so much! and thanks for not giving me the answer. I like understanding what I'm doing! And that is what I meant!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted