Finding x and y Components of Vector Sum

In summary, a vector sum is the result of adding two or more vectors together, represented by a single vector with the same magnitude and direction. The x and y components of a vector sum are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, calculated using trigonometric functions. It is important to find these components as they provide information about the direction and magnitude of the vector. Even if only the magnitude and angle are known, the x and y components can still be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions.
McAfee

Homework Statement

03t65.png

Wo9KJ.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to make sure I use the right angle for vector B.
I4j0u.jpg

Also just wanted to check my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't check your actual calculations, but your method looks fine.

It is all correct.

ehild.

What is a vector sum?

A vector sum is the result of adding two or more vectors together. It is represented by a single vector that has the same magnitude and direction as the combined vectors.

What are x and y components of a vector sum?

The x and y components of a vector sum are the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They are calculated by using trigonometric functions to break down the magnitude and direction of the vector.

How do you find the x and y components of a vector sum?

To find the x and y components of a vector sum, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions. The x component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The y component is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle between the vector and the y-axis.

Why is it important to find the x and y components of a vector sum?

It is important to find the x and y components of a vector sum because they provide information about the direction and magnitude of the vector. This information is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

Can you find the x and y components of a vector sum if you only know the magnitude and angle?

Yes, you can find the x and y components of a vector sum if you only know the magnitude and angle. As mentioned earlier, you can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to calculate these components using the given information.