Finding xy coordinates of obtuse and acute triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the position of the end point of a 2 meter long bar in the xy plane given its angle with the x-axis. The equations and attempts at solutions are also mentioned, including the use of x=2cosx and y=2sinx for the 30 degree angle and the use of the sin law for the 120 degree angle. The expert summarizer adds that for obtuse angles (between 90 and 180 degrees), one must consider the second quadrant and adjust the values accordingly.
amit25
This might seem easy, but I am sort of rusty on the math since i haven't taken a math course in a while.

Homework Statement

A 2 meter long bar lies in the xy plane with one end at the origin. find position at the xy plane of the other?

end point of the bar if the angle the bar makes with the x-axis is the followin
a) 2pi/3
b) 120 degree
c) 30 degree

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

do i use x=2cosx y=2sinx ? for the 30 degree angle one i used
but when i get to 120degrees i used the sin law but somethin seems off

Physics news on Phys.org
amit25 said:
This might seem easy, but I am sort of rusty on the math since i haven't taken a math course in a while.

Homework Statement

A 2 meter long bar lies in the xy plane with one end at the origin. find position at the xy plane of the other?

end point of the bar if the angle the bar makes with the x-axis is the followin
a) 2pi/3
b) 120 degree
c) 30 degree

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

do i use x=2cosx y=2sinx ? for the 30 degree angle one i used
but when i get to 120degrees i used the sin law but somethin seems off

For the 120o and [itex]2\pi / 3 [/itex] angles, they're obtuse (between 90o and 180o) so you need to look into the second quadrant (this means the cos(x) value will be negative, while the sin(x) value will still be positive, but you need to reconsider what the value of x is because you're now dealing with a triangle that isn't using the angle you started with).

Here's an illustration, notice [tex]\frac{\pi}{3}=\pi-\frac{2\pi}{3}[/tex]
Which in degrees is equivalent to [itex]60^o=180^o-120^o[/itex]

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6619/trianglehelp.png

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the basic steps to find the xy coordinates of an obtuse and acute triangle?

The basic steps to find the xy coordinates of an obtuse and acute triangle are as follows:

• Step 1: Identify the type of triangle - obtuse or acute.
  • Step 2: Determine the coordinates of each vertex of the triangle.
  • Step 3: Use the distance formula to find the lengths of the sides.
  • Step 4: Apply the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side length if the triangle is a right triangle.
  • Step 5: Use the law of cosines or law of sines to find the angles of the triangle.
  • Step 6: Use trigonometric functions to find the x and y coordinates of each vertex.

2. How do I find the coordinates of the vertices of a triangle if I only have the lengths of its sides?

If you only have the lengths of the sides of a triangle, you can use the law of cosines or law of sines to find the angles of the triangle. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the x and y coordinates of each vertex. Alternatively, you can use the distance formula to find the coordinates of each vertex by finding the intersection points of the triangle's sides.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the coordinates of a right triangle's vertices?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the coordinates of a right triangle's vertices. First, use the distance formula to find the lengths of the sides of the triangle. Then, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side length. Finally, use trigonometric functions to find the coordinates of each vertex.

4. What is the distance formula and how is it used to find the coordinates of a triangle's vertices?

The distance formula is a mathematical formula used to find the distance between two points in a coordinate plane. It is given by d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points. This formula can be used to find the lengths of the sides of a triangle, which can then be used to find the coordinates of its vertices.

5. Are there any other methods to find the xy coordinates of an obtuse and acute triangle?

Yes, there are other methods to find the xy coordinates of an obtuse and acute triangle. One method is to use the properties of special triangles, such as 30-60-90 and 45-45-90 triangles, to find the coordinates of the vertices. Another method is to use vector operations, such as dot product and cross product, to find the coordinates of the triangle's vertices. However, these methods may require more advanced mathematical knowledge.