Solving a Finite Automaton Problem: A Troublesome Hint

• Thread starter 0rthodontist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, a finite automaton problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution using a finite state machine. Troublesome hints are given in a problem or puzzle, but may require additional thinking to understand their relevance. To solve a finite automaton problem, one must understand the problem, use properties and rules of finite automata, and think abstractly to design an effective solution. This can be challenging due to the combination of mathematical and analytical skills required. Tips for solving a finite automaton problem include carefully reading and understanding the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, using known properties and rules, and visualizing the automaton through diagrams or tables.
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
There is a problem on the latest homework that I am struggling with. From the way the problem is worded, I am pretty sure that the key to solving this problem is the same as the hint on a problem on the last homework. However when I did that other problem, I ignored the hint, and now I am having difficulty figuring this one out. Because I don't want to do anything that might be regarded as illicit, I'll only give the other problem:

The other problem is:
Present and justify an algorithm that decides whether a finite automaton M = (Q, sigma, delta, q0, F) recognizes the language sigma*, in time O(|Q| x |sigma|). Hint: Read the section of the notes that proves the regular languages are closed under the Boolean operations

The way I solved this was by disregarding the hint and simply searching M for any nonaccepting states reachable from q0, and I got full credit. But this current question I am working on seems to depend on this one. Does anyone have an idea about what the hint means?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are on the right track with recognizing that the key to solving this problem may be related to the hint given in the previous homework. It's always important to read and understand the hints given by your instructor, as they can often provide valuable insights and shortcuts to solving a problem.

In this case, the hint is directing you to the concept of regular languages and their closure properties under Boolean operations. This means that you can use the properties of regular languages, such as concatenation, union, and intersection, to build a new regular language from existing ones.

In order to solve this problem, you will need to use the closure properties to construct a regular language that recognizes sigma*. This can be done by combining the language sigma itself with the empty string, which is also a regular language. Then, you can use the algorithm you mentioned from the previous problem to determine if the finite automaton M recognizes this new language.

I hope this helps clarify the hint and gives you some ideas on how to approach the problem. Remember, it's always important to thoroughly understand the concepts and hints provided in your coursework, as they can lead to more efficient and accurate problem solving. Good luck!

1. What is a finite automaton problem?

A finite automaton problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding a solution using a finite state machine. It is commonly used in computer science and theoretical computer science to model and solve problems related to computation and decision-making.

2. What is a troublesome hint?

A troublesome hint is a hint or clue that is given in a problem or puzzle, but it is not immediately clear how to use or interpret it. It may require additional thinking or analysis to understand how the hint relates to the problem and how to use it to find a solution.

3. How do you approach solving a finite automaton problem?

The first step in solving a finite automaton problem is to understand the problem and its constraints. Then, you can use the properties and rules of finite automata to design a solution. This may involve creating a diagram or table to represent the automaton and its transitions, and using algorithms or mathematical techniques to determine the solution.

4. What makes solving a finite automaton problem challenging?

Solving a finite automaton problem can be challenging because it requires a combination of mathematical and analytical skills. It also involves thinking abstractly to design an automaton that can effectively solve the problem, and then using logical reasoning to determine the correct solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving a finite automaton problem?

Some tips for solving a finite automaton problem include: carefully reading and understanding the problem, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, using known properties and rules of finite automata, and using trial and error to test different solutions. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use tables to visualize the automaton and its transitions.