Finite distance between two points

In summary, the simplest sufficient condition for d(x,y)<∞, ∀ x, y ∈ X in a metric space X is that X is compact. This is because for any two points in a compact space, the distance between them is always finite. However, there may be extended metrics that allow for infinite distance, but they are not standard. It is also worth considering if the projective space is metrizable, as manifolds are generally metrizable but there may be exceptions.
CCMarie
If X is a metric space, what is the simplest sufficient condition for d(x,y)<∞, ∀ x, y ∈ X?

Physics news on Phys.org
CCMarie said:
If X is a metric space, what is the simplest sufficient condition for d(x,y)<∞, ∀ x, y ∈ X?
What is ##d(.,.)##? If it is the metrc, then this is always the case.

Yes, it is the metric. And thank you!

CCMarie said:
For X, it is maybe that X is compact. Being bounded may be too obvious/circular.

WWGD said:
For X, it is maybe that X is compact. Being bounded may be too obvious/circular.
For any two points the distance is always finite.

fresh_42 said:
fresh_42 said:
I think there are extended metrics that allow for infinite distance, but they are nonstandard.

WWGD said:
I think there are extended metrics that allow for infinite distance, but they are nonstandard.
Interesting question: Do we have a metric on the projective line?

fresh_42 said:
Interesting question: Do we have a metric on the projective line?
But these may be different questions: the Real line, nor Euclidean n-space is bounded.

Sure. I was thinking about including infinite points and a non standard metric you mentioned.

fresh_42 said:
Sure. I was thinking about including infinite points and a non standard metric you mentioned.
But even with the standard metric, there is no Real M with d(x,y)<M for all x,y in ##\mathbb R^n ##Edit: Just choose the pair M,0 ( or generalized to n dimensions) for d(x,y).

That's why I said projective space. Can we keep the metric via the transition from circle to line, sphere to plane?

fresh_42 said:
That's why I said projective space. Can we keep the metric via the transition from circle to line, sphere to plane?
What is the "standard" metric in Projective space? Is it the quotient metric?EDIT: Do we even know if the projective space is metrizable?

fresh_42 said:
I have no idea, that's why I asked.
BAH. It is a manifold and manifolds are metrizable. With weird exceptions for 1-2 people who allow non-Hausdorff.

Likes fresh_42
WWGD said:
BAH. It is a manifold and manifolds are metrizable. With weird exceptions for 1-2 people who allow non-Hausdorff.
When it comes to topology I need to see. If possible step by step. Those people are notoriously counterintuitive.

fresh_42 said:
When it comes to topology I need to see. If possible step by step. Those people are notoriously counterintuitive.
This is the standard case, don't know if there are many others "non-trivially" different: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Hausdorff_manifold#Line_with_two_origins :

EDIT: Proof of boundedness: d(x,y) is continuous on YxY for Y compact. Then d: YxY -->R is a continuous function on the compact set YxY, and so it is bounded.

Likes CCMarie

1. What is the definition of "finite distance between two points"?

The finite distance between two points is the length of the shortest path connecting the two points. It is a measure of the physical distance between the two points in a straight line.

2. How is the finite distance between two points calculated?

The finite distance between two points can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. What are the units of measurement for finite distance between two points?

The units of measurement for finite distance between two points can vary depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, it is typically measured in meters, while in the imperial system, it is measured in feet or miles.

4. Can the finite distance between two points ever be negative?

No, the finite distance between two points cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the physical distance between the two points and cannot be in the opposite direction.

5. How does the finite distance between two points relate to other mathematical concepts?

The finite distance between two points is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as vectors, displacement, and magnitude. It is also an important concept in geometry and can be used to calculate the length of curves and surfaces.