Finite Square Well: Deriving Eq. (1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the Finite Square Well in Griffiths Quantum Mechanics Text, specifically the case of bound states with energy E < 0. The author presents an equation and makes a claim about the intersections of z and z_0 for large z_0 values. The speaker is struggling to understand the reasoning behind this claim and provides a possible explanation involving a plot on mathematica.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

I am reading about the Finite Square Well in Griffiths Quantum Mechanics Text. Right now, I am reading about the case in which the particle can be in bound states, implying that it has an energy E < 0. After some derivations, the author comes across the equation

[itex]\tan z = \sqrt{ \left(\frac{z_0}{z} \right)^2 - 1}[/itex]

where [itex]z = la[/itex] and [itex]z_0 = \frac{a}{\hbar} \sqrt{2mV_0}[/itex]; additionally, [itex]l= \frac{\sqrt{2m(E+V_0)}}{\hbar}[/itex].

The author makes the claim that, "if z_0 is very large, the intersections occur just slightly below [itex]z_n = n \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], with n odd; it follows that

[itex]E_n + V_0 \approx \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2m(2a)^2}[/itex]" (1)

I don't quite see this. How does z_0 being large imply (1) is a true statement? I have tried to work out the details myself, but it appears that there are a lot of missing details which the author should have included; although, this is just my opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems very straightforward to me. ##\frac{n\pi \hbar}{2a} \approx \sqrt{2m(E + V_0)}## so ##E + V_0 \approx \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2m(2a)^2}##. ##z_0## being very large implies that the solutions ##z## to ##\tan z = \sqrt{(z_0/z)^2 - 1}## are ##z = \frac{n\pi}{2}##. Just make a plot of the two curves on mathematica for large ##z_0## and it should be obvious to you why the intersections are as they are for large ##z_0##.

1. What is a finite square well?

A finite square well is a potential energy function commonly used in quantum mechanics to model a confined system. It consists of a potential energy barrier, or "well", with finite depth and width.

2. How is the finite square well derived?

The finite square well is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. The solution to this equation for the finite square well potential yields a discrete set of energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions.

3. What is the significance of Eq. (1) in the derivation of the finite square well?

Eq. (1) is the derived equation for the energy levels of the finite square well potential. It takes into account the properties of the potential, such as its depth and width, to determine the allowed energy states of the system.

4. How does the depth and width of the finite square well affect the energy levels?

The depth and width of the finite square well have a direct impact on the energy levels of the system. A deeper well will result in lower energy levels, while a wider well will result in a larger spacing between energy levels. This is because the potential energy barrier becomes more difficult for the particle to overcome.

5. Can the finite square well be used to model real-world systems?

The finite square well is a simplified model and cannot fully capture the complexities of real-world quantum systems. However, it can be used to approximate the behavior of certain physical systems, such as atoms and molecules, and provide insights into their properties and behavior.