First integral of Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for equations of motion for a test particle in the Schwarzschild metric. It covers the use of the action, parameterization, and Lagrangian to find the correct equations of motion. The correct Lagrangian is found to be L=-\frac{m^2}{2}, which is necessary for finding the equation of motion. The conversation also mentions the use of timelike curves rather than spacelike curves, as particles must move along timelike curves.
Identity
I am trying to find the equations of motion for a test particle in the schwarzschild metric. However, I cannot find the correct first integral for the Lagrangian.

The Schwarzschild metric is:
[tex]ds^2 = -\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2+\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2+r^2\,d\theta^2+r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]
If we look at the action, and parameterise it using [itex]s=\frac{\tau}{m}[/itex],
[tex]S=\int\,ds = \int_{\tau_i}^{\tau_f} \sqrt{g_{ab}\frac{dx^a}{d\tau}\frac{dx^b}{d\tau}m^2}\left(\frac{1}{m}\,d\tau\right)[/tex]
If we DEFINE our lagrangian to be [itex]L=\frac{1}{2}m^2g_{ab}\frac{dx^a}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^b}{d\lambda}[/itex], then
[tex]S = \int_{\tau_i}^{\tau_f} \frac{\sqrt{2L}}{m}\,d\tau[/tex]
Due to reparameterisation invariance, we can set once again set [itex]\tau=s[/itex], and in that case we get [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2L}}{m}=1\Rightarrow L = \frac{m^2}{2}[/itex].

However, in the book I'm reading, "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron stars (Shapiro)", they have [itex]L=-\frac{m^2}{2}[/itex]. This is correct, since you need it to find the equation of motion for the test particle. However, I can't seem to get the minus sign. How does it come about?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
With the signature you're using, gμνdxμ/dτ dxν/dτ is negative along a timelike curve, so you want to integrate ds = √-gμνdxμ/dτ dxν/dτ dτ

Thanks Bill_K, but I'm not exactly sure I understand.

By signature I'm guessing you mean
[tex]ds^2=-\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2+\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2+r^2\,d\theta^2+r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]
instead of
[tex]d\tau^2=\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2-\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2-r^2\,d\theta^2-r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]

But when we take the action, why do we need to integrate over a timelike curve? What's wrong with integrating over a spacelike curve? After all, isn't the definition

[tex]S = \int\,ds[/tex]

Particles don't move along space-like curves. They must move on time-like curves.

ah of course. cheers

What is the first integral of Lagrangian?

The first integral of Lagrangian is a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics that describes a conserved quantity in a system. It is derived from the Lagrangian function, which is a function that describes the dynamics of a system in terms of its position, velocity, and time.

How is the first integral of Lagrangian related to energy conservation?

The first integral of Lagrangian is related to energy conservation because it represents the total energy of a system and remains constant over time. This means that as the system evolves, the first integral of Lagrangian remains the same, indicating that energy is conserved.

What is the significance of the first integral of Lagrangian in classical mechanics?

The first integral of Lagrangian is significant in classical mechanics because it allows us to describe and analyze the dynamics of a system in terms of conserved quantities. This makes it a powerful tool in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

How is the first integral of Lagrangian calculated?

The first integral of Lagrangian is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the Lagrangian function with respect to a generalized coordinate and setting it equal to zero. This results in an equation that relates the generalized coordinate to a conserved quantity.

Can the first integral of Lagrangian be applied to all physical systems?

The first integral of Lagrangian can be applied to any physical system that can be described by a Lagrangian function. This includes a wide range of systems, such as particles, fluids, and even complex systems like planetary motion.