Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First integral of Lagrangian

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    I am trying to find the equations of motion for a test particle in the schwarzschild metric. However, I cannot find the correct first integral for the Lagrangian.

The Schwarzschild metric is:
    [tex]ds^2 = -\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2+\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2+r^2\,d\theta^2+r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]
    If we look at the action, and parameterise it using [itex]s=\frac{\tau}{m}[/itex],
    [tex]S=\int\,ds = \int_{\tau_i}^{\tau_f} \sqrt{g_{ab}\frac{dx^a}{d\tau}\frac{dx^b}{d\tau}m^2}\left(\frac{1}{m}\,d\tau\right)[/tex]
    If we DEFINE our lagrangian to be [itex]L=\frac{1}{2}m^2g_{ab}\frac{dx^a}{d\lambda}\frac{dx^b}{d\lambda}[/itex], then
    [tex]S = \int_{\tau_i}^{\tau_f} \frac{\sqrt{2L}}{m}\,d\tau[/tex]
    Due to reparameterisation invariance, we can set once again set [itex]\tau=s[/itex], and in that case we get [itex]\frac{\sqrt{2L}}{m}=1\Rightarrow L = \frac{m^2}{2}[/itex].

However, in the book I'm reading, "Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron stars (Shapiro)", they have [itex]L=-\frac{m^2}{2}[/itex]. This is correct, since you need it to find the equation of motion for the test particle. However, I can't seem to get the minus sign. How does it come about?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

With the signature you're using, gμνdxμ/dτ dxν/dτ is negative along a timelike curve, so you want to integrate ds = √-gμνdxμ/dτ dxν/dτ dτ

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3
    Thanks Bill_K, but I'm not exactly sure I understand.

By signature I'm guessing you mean
    [tex]ds^2=-\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2+\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2+r^2\,d\theta^2+r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]
    instead of
    [tex]d\tau^2=\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)\,dt^2-\left(1-\frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-1}\,dr^2-r^2\,d\theta^2-r^2\sin^2\theta\,d\phi^2[/tex]

But when we take the action, why do we need to integrate over a timelike curve? What's wrong with integrating over a spacelike curve? After all, isn't the definition

[tex]S = \int\,ds[/tex]

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Particles don't move along space-like curves. They must move on time-like curves.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5
    ah of course. cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook