First Isomorphism Theorem

• Thread starter sqrt(-1)
  • Start date
I'm slightly confused with the following function so I was wondering if anybody could give me some hints as to the next step.

A function f is defined as

[tex]
f:\mathbb{C} \longrightarrow \mathbb{C} \\
[/tex]
[tex]
~~z \longmapsto |z|
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\mathbb{C} = (\mathbb{C},+)
[/tex]
assuming the function is a homomorphism, I've gone on to find
[tex]
\rm{Ker}(f) = \{0\}
[/tex]
[tex]
\rm{Im}(f) = \mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}
[/tex]
by the first isomorphism theorem I would have made the following conclusion(this part doesn't make sense to me):
[tex]
\mathbb{C}/\rm{Ker}(f) \cong (\mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}, + )
[/tex]

But firstly
[tex]
(\mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}, + )
[/tex]
is not a group since there is no inverse element, and secondly since Ker(f) = the trivial group
[tex]
\mathbb{C}/\rm{Ker}(f) \cong (\mathbb{C}, + )
[/tex]

Could somebody give me some pointers please?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

StatusX
Homework Helper
That map is not a homomorphism for (C,+) (eg, |1+(-1)]=0 [itex]\neq[/itex]|1|+|-1|=2), but it is for (C,*).

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Firstly, when talking about groups it is best to specify whenever necessary what the group laws are before hand, and secondly. The image set is not a group in any obvious way, the map is not a homomorphism of groups, so applying the 1st isomorphism theorem won't get you anywhere.

StatusX, (C,*) is not a group, either.

The mod map is a homomorphism from the non-zero complex numbers to the reals, the kernel is the unit circle, and indeed the 1st isomorphism theorem holds.

Thanks for the reply - now that I've looked at it with the information you provided I realise I made a howler of a mistake in the first part of my working.

StatusX
Homework Helper
matt grime said:
StatusX, (C,*) is not a group, either.
Right, sorry. Although I didn't really say it was, I just said that the map is a homomorphism, ie, structure preserving, not a group homomorphism. Or maybe by C I was referring to the extended complex numbers, I just couldn't write it in this font. I know, I'm reaching.

matt grime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
StatusX said:
Or maybe by C I was referring to the extended complex numbers, I just couldn't write it in this font. I know, I'm reaching.
The extended complex numbers under multiplication still aren't a group: 0*infinity is not even defined. I don't know, from the context, if you genuinely think that they are, but I would hope you didn't think they were. You simply made a small oversight in your first post, that's all. We all do it.