Understanding the First Isomorphism Theorem in Homomorphisms of Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses a function defined on the complex numbers and its properties. The function is not a homomorphism for addition, but it is for multiplication. The first isomorphism theorem can be applied, but the image set is not a group and the kernel is the unit circle. However, the extended complex numbers under multiplication are also not a group, so the first isomorphism theorem cannot be applied. The conversation then clarifies that the extended complex numbers are not a group and discusses the mistake made in the initial working.
sqrt(-1)
I'm slightly confused with the following function so I was wondering if anybody could give me some hints as to the next step.

A function f is defined as

[tex]
f:\mathbb{C} \longrightarrow \mathbb{C} \\
[/tex]
[tex]
~~z \longmapsto |z|
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\mathbb{C} = (\mathbb{C},+)
[/tex]
assuming the function is a homomorphism, I've gone on to find
[tex]
\rm{Ker}(f) = \{0\}
[/tex]
[tex]
\rm{Im}(f) = \mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}
[/tex]
by the first isomorphism theorem I would have made the following conclusion(this part doesn't make sense to me):
[tex]
\mathbb{C}/\rm{Ker}(f) \cong (\mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}, + )
[/tex]

But firstly
[tex]
(\mathbb{R}^+ \cup \{0\}, + )
[/tex]
is not a group since there is no inverse element, and secondly since Ker(f) = the trivial group
[tex]
\mathbb{C}/\rm{Ker}(f) \cong (\mathbb{C}, + )
[/tex]

Could somebody give me some pointers please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That map is not a homomorphism for (C,+) (eg, |1+(-1)]=0 [itex]\neq[/itex]|1|+|-1|=2), but it is for (C,*).

Firstly, when talking about groups it is best to specify whenever necessary what the group laws are before hand, and secondly. The image set is not a group in any obvious way, the map is not a homomorphism of groups, so applying the 1st isomorphism theorem won't get you anywhere.

StatusX, (C,*) is not a group, either.

The mod map is a homomorphism from the non-zero complex numbers to the reals, the kernel is the unit circle, and indeed the 1st isomorphism theorem holds.

Thanks for the reply - now that I've looked at it with the information you provided I realize I made a howler of a mistake in the first part of my working.

matt grime said:
StatusX, (C,*) is not a group, either.

Right, sorry. Although I didn't really say it was, I just said that the map is a homomorphism, ie, structure preserving, not a group homomorphism. Or maybe by C I was referring to the extended complex numbers, I just couldn't write it in this font. I know, I'm reaching.

StatusX said:
Or maybe by C I was referring to the extended complex numbers, I just couldn't write it in this font. I know, I'm reaching.

The extended complex numbers under multiplication still aren't a group: 0*infinity is not even defined. I don't know, from the context, if you genuinely think that they are, but I would hope you didn't think they were. You simply made a small oversight in your first post, that's all. We all do it.

What is the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is a fundamental theorem in abstract algebra that states the relationship between a group and its homomorphic image. It provides a way to understand the structure of a group by studying its homomorphic image.

How is the First Isomorphism Theorem used in mathematics?

The First Isomorphism Theorem is used to prove the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, which states that every positive integer can be uniquely factored into prime numbers. It is also used in the classification of finite simple groups, which is a major achievement in group theory.

What are the key components of the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The First Isomorphism Theorem states that if there is a homomorphism between two groups, then the quotient group of the kernel of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism. The kernel is the set of elements in the domain that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain, and the image is the set of elements in the codomain that are the result of the homomorphism.

What are some real-world applications of the First Isomorphism Theorem?

The First Isomorphism Theorem has applications in many areas of mathematics, including cryptography, coding theory, and graph theory. It is also used in computer science to understand the structure of data and algorithms. In physics, the theorem is used to study the symmetries and conservation laws in physical systems.

What are some common misconceptions about the First Isomorphism Theorem?

One common misconception is that the First Isomorphism Theorem only applies to groups. In fact, it can be applied to other algebraic structures such as rings and fields. Another misconception is that the theorem only applies to finite groups, but it also holds for infinite groups.