First law of thermodynamics and work done

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
fly_bo1
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Two kilograms of water at 100oC is converted to steam at 1 ATM. Find the work done (in J). (The density of steam at 100oC is 0.598 kg/m3.)

a. 4.6 x 104
b. 3.4 x 104
c. 1.2 x 105
d. 2.1 x 104
e. 3.4 x 105

I'ved use the integration holding volume as a variable. However, I don't know why I am not getting the right answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fly_bo1 said:
Two kilograms of water at 100oC is converted to steam at 1 ATM. Find the work done (in J). (The density of steam at 100oC is 0.598 kg/m3.)

a. 4.6 x 104
b. 3.4 x 104
c. 1.2 x 105
d. 2.1 x 104
e. 3.4 x 105

I'ved use the integration holding volume as a variable. However, I don't know why I am not getting the right answer.
You don't have to do an integration. Assume that the change in volume from water to steam occurs at 1 Atm external pressure and that the steam is created gradually. Pressure is constant, so [itex]W = \int PdV = PV[/itex] (assume initial volume is 0).

AM

PS Welcome to PF, btw.