First order coherence classical optics problem

In summary, the conversation is about proving a formula for g^(1)(tau) in a problem from a book called "Microcavities". The formula involves dealing with a variable called phi, which varies randomly between measurements. The person in the conversation is having trouble understanding how to apply the formula to a simpler problem, but eventually realizes that all components with phi cancel out in the averaging process.
Azelketh

Homework Statement

Hi, I am trying to work through exercise 2.1 on page 37 of Microcavities (by alexy kavokin, jeremy baumberg, guillaume malpuech and fabrice laussy)

the problem is to prove
[tex]
| g^{(1)}(\tau) | = | cos( \frac{1}{2}(\omega_1 - \omega_2)\tau) ) |
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
g^{(1)}(\tau)=\frac{\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t+\tau)\rangle}{\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle}
[/tex]
and
[tex]
E(t)=E_0(t)\exp^{i[k_1z-\omega_1t]}+E_0(t)\exp^{i[k_2z-\omega_2t+\varphi]}
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\varphi [/tex] varies randomly between measurements

how do you deal mathmatically with [tex] \varphi [/tex] varying??

Also more simply above the exercise the text states a simpler apparently 'trivial' result using the same formula for [tex] g^{(1)}(\tau) [/tex] that the sine wave of
[tex]
E(t)=E_0(t)\exp^{i[\omega t - kz + \varphi]}
[/tex]
by direct application of the formula for [tex] g^{(1)}(\tau) [/tex] yields:

[tex]
g^{(1)}(\tau)= \exp^{i\omega \tau}
[/tex]

i cannot show even this 'trivial' application, i find that:
[tex]
\langle E^{\ast}(t)E(t+\tau)\rangle = \langle E_0\exp^{-i\omega \tau}\rangle
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\langle |E(t)|^2 \rangle = \langle |E_0^2 \exp^{2i(\omega t -kx + \varphi)} \rangle
[/tex]
How does that evaluate to
[tex]
g^{(1)}(\tau)= \exp^{-i\omega \tau}
[/tex] ??
If anyone can give me any pointers( or show me the complete workings of this XD ) then it would much appreciated. Thanks for reading my post.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
problem no longer. Just assumed by [tex] /varphi [/tex] varying randomly then all components with [tex] /varphi [/tex] cancel in the averageing.

1. What is first order coherence in classical optics?

First order coherence in classical optics refers to the degree of correlation between two different points in a light wave. It measures the similarity in the phase of the light at these points and is a key factor in determining the interference and diffraction patterns of light.

2. How is first order coherence measured?

First order coherence is typically measured using an interferometer, which is a device that splits a light beam into two paths and then recombines them. The resulting interference pattern can then be analyzed to determine the degree of coherence between the two points in the light wave.

3. What factors affect first order coherence?

Several factors can affect first order coherence, including the spectral width of the light source, the path length difference between the two points being compared, and the quality of the optical elements used in the interferometer.

4. How is first order coherence related to the coherence length?

The coherence length is a measure of how far the light can travel before the correlation between two points in the light wave drops below a certain threshold. First order coherence is directly related to the coherence length, as it is a measure of the correlation between two points in the light wave at a specific distance.

5. What are some applications of first order coherence in classical optics?

First order coherence has many practical applications, including in interferometry, holography, and optical coherence tomography. It is also essential in understanding the diffraction patterns of light and in the design of optical systems for imaging and communication.