1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order differential equation help

1. Mar 28, 2006 #1
    i've derived the following differential eqn from a problem i'm working on, and i have tried in vain to solve this if any one can give a direction where i should go our how to attack would be greatly appreciated. the eqn is

[tex]I\,r= -L\dot{I}+\frac{3}{2}\mu_{0}m R^{2}\frac{z \dot{z}}{\left(R^{2}+z^{2}\right)^{5/2}} [/tex]

where [tex] r,L,m,\mu_{0},R,\dot{z} [/tex] are all constants. one of two ways i've tried solving this, was since
    [tex]\dot{z}=const.\Rightarrow z=\dot{z}t [/tex]
    which just gives a particular solution i cannot find a solution for. the homogeneous part is quite trivial with the solution being
    [tex] I_{homogeneous}=const. \, \exp(-rt/L)[/tex]
    am i missing something, is there another way. any help please
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If L = 0, then if r = 0, I can be anything. If r is not zero, then I is just the right side divided by r. So we may assume L is nonzero. Let A = 1.5μ0mR²(z'³L)-1, B = R/z', D = r/L

I' + DI = At/(B² + t²)5/2

The solution to the homogenous equation is, as you know IH = Ce-rt/L. So you just need a particular solution. See if this helps at all.
  4. Mar 28, 2006 #3
    thanks for the cite reference, i checked it out, and it's similar information i have in my old ode book in front of me. the integral you get with this
    [tex] \int e^{Dt}\frac{At}{(B^{2}+t^{2})^{5/2}}dt[/tex]
    doesn't seem to be able to be integrated. i think this particular ode might need numerical methods to solve.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?